Things people do that drive me bonkers....

Real Name
Dan
OK there's a whole list. But I was just reminded of this one. We walk our dog in a local state park. At the trailhead there is a sign asking people to clean up after their pets and a dispenser with plastic bags to facilitate that action. So what do people do? They pick up the dog poop and then leave the plastic bag on the side of the trail! Really??! Yeah that's a big help. Now rather than biodegradable material on the trail there's also plastic. Not only that but your over fed dog's metabolism is so inefficient that the feces still contains a lot of nutrients. So a fox or bear will come along and eat plastic bag and all which can potentially kill it. Come on folks. Think!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
OK there's a whole list. But I was just reminded of this one. We walk our dog in a local state park. At the trailhead there is a sign asking people to clean up after their pets and a dispenser with plastic bags to facilitate that action. So what do people do? They pick up the dog poop and then leave the plastic bag on the side of the trail! Really??! Yeah that's a big help. Now rather than biodegradable material on the trail there's also plastic. Not only that but your over fed dog's metabolism is so inefficient that the feces still contains a lot of nutrients. So a fox or bear will come along and eat plastic bag and all which can potentially kill it. Come on folks. Think!
They clean up after their dog. But I guess they think someone should follow them around and clean up after THEM! For many people, common sense is a very under-utilized attribute.

Ironically the people that do this are probably proud of themselves for doing the right thing. Life must be nice living in one of those little bubbles. It's really a PITA being aware of the world around you.
I had my first experience with this last month while hiking near Asheville. I was incredulous! I told my wife that folks must have put the bags down on the side of the trail so that they could pick them up and dispose of them properly on the way out from the hike. My wife thought I was nuts!

I had my first experience with this last month while hiking near Asheville. I was incredulous! I told my wife that folks must have put the bags down on the side of the trail so that they could pick them up and dispose of them properly on the way out from the hike. My wife thought I was nuts!
I've seen that in the city. A poop bag will be there on our morning walk but then gone later. I assume people are picking them up on the way back. I know where all the available trash cans are on our walks . . .

I've seen that in the city. A poop bag will be there on our morning walk but then gone later. I assume people are picking them up on the way back. I know where all the available trash cans are on our walks . . .
Many dog walkers do this, but hide the bag out of sight. It's common on out-and-back trails.

Real Name
Dan
Many dog walkers do this, but hide the bag out of sight. It's common on out-and-back trails.
Yeah I used to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that was their intent. But our trail system is a series of loops. Plus we walk every day and see most of the bags stay where they're dropped. Of course I suppose I could just bring a larger bag along and just pick them up rather than complain about it. Mmmmm nah. Soda cans maybe. But my line on providing volunteer public service is drawn somewhere shy of poop bags. :rolleyes:

Ironically where we spend our winters people walk there dogs on the beach which is indeed an out and back walk and we rarely see this phenomenon occur. Then again a lot of people just kick sand over it and move on. Which is preferable to leaving the plastic bag with its payload. We do use a bag and leave it for pickup on the return leg. Once in a while they disappear and my wife is absolutely mortified at the thought that someone may have picked up after us. I on the other hand am grateful when it occurs :D

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Here the dog walkers rarely leave the poop bags on the ground. They carefully hang them on trees or fences. No one knows why they do this.
1629910205820.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Oh Christmas tree, oh . . . . 💩
Yes, that's it exactly. dogfoul.org decorated one to draw attention to the problem:
1629914021310.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

People walk their dogs on the school grounds where I go for exercise and as far as I know they are all good about cleaning up.

However...there's a sign that states animals are not allowed on school property. Also, there's a township leash law and a subset of the dog walkers allow their pets to walk along with them unrestrained. These rules don't ever appear to be enforced, so they are ignored.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom