Things to Shoot Around Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by stovie, Jul 16, 2008.

1. stovie

stovie

Mar 13, 2008
    Edinburgh, UK
    Hi there. I'm off to CA for 12 days on Saturday staying in Longbeach and was wondering if anyone had any ideas of nice places to go to take photographs AND keep a wife and 2 kids entertained (6 & 4). Preferably no more than a couple of hours drive would be good.

I'd love to go off exploring and taking photos by myself but I think it would lead to divorce as it's our main summer holiday!

Thanks in advance :smile:

2. jaikdee

jaikdee

Feb 25, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    There was a thread on this a couple of months ago and several good places mentioned. In Long Beach you can visit the Queen Mary (there is a tour), take a boat to Catalina, an evening harbor/dinner cruise, the garment district in LA has lots of photo ops, near there is Olivera Street, which has interesting shops and is a hint of old Mexico, and Union Station, the train station which was renovated a few years ago and has interesting architecture. Los Angeles has a big zoo. A trip to Venice Beach will keep all of you entertained. Same with the Santa Monica Pier. A lot of interesting people there. The Getty Museum has views of LA and the ocean. Griffith Park with the observatory is a good family place. Of course, you know about Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm. With 12 days here, you have time to drive down to San Diego. The harbor, Maritime Museum, Gaslamp District (old San Diego with lots of shops and interesting buildings), Aquarium, Old Town, etc. If you drive down the coast there are many cities along the way - one being San Juan Capistrano where you can stop to see the Mission. San Diego has a big zoo, Balboa Park, and Lion Country Safari where you drive your car through the wild animal park. I haven't been there, but my daughter had a membership and would take her children out in the evening at feeding time to see all of the wild animals. The train goes to San Diego and stops in San Juan Capistrano and Old Town San Diego. Then you can cross the border to Tijuana, Mexico. Another long day trip north would be to Santa Barbara and Solvang (a Scandanavian town.)

If you go to the beach take lots of sun tan lotion. I got a terrible burn last Saturday and am still suffering. Not all of these places will be thrilling to a 4 and 6 year old. There is a lot to see, you will have fun and hopefully get some good photo ops, too. Have a safe trip.
    Janet

3. baeken

baeken

Jun 24, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    If you want to see the fireworks show at Disneyland without going in, (it's a great show even without the music) park at downtown disney and head up to the top floor of the parking structure. Right behind the park are a few buildings. Those are where the fireworks shoot out of, so you'll be practically right under them.

Depending on the time of day, i've been to the Newport pier and have seen dolphins jumping out of the water. The Huntington Beach pier is a cool place too. It has a Ruby's at the end of it. Great dining experience. On Tuesdays they block off main st and have a stree fair.

Cal state Long Beach has the Pyramid and a pretty cool Japanese Garden with tons of coy fish.

The OC county fair is going on right now down in Costa Mesa, just 20 min from long beach.

I hear the Huntington Library up in Pasadena is a great place to visit.

I think there's a point in Signal Hill that gives you a great view of the city.

Taking the train down to San Diego would be a great experience going in and out of the coast. Then there's baloba park (tons of garden and museums), SD zoo, seaworld.

that's all i can think of for now.

4. stovie

stovie

Mar 13, 2008
    Edinburgh, UK
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

At least it seems to be dry in CA. Time to escape the lovely Scottish Summer :eek: