Think I need to clean my sensor??

This looked pretty rough when I was finished cloning the dust spots. I think I'm overdue to clean out the sensor.

p1552965302-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yep, you're due.

But, if you're like me, the only time I tend to think about it is when I'm editing photos. Then I forget until I upload my next batch of images and have another "doh, I forgot to clean the sensor" moment.

I was determined to keep my D800 pristine but no matter how careful you are (and I kept the 14-24mm on it for about three months) you still get dust bunnies somehow. I've given up now and the clone tool is the first one I reach for in Photoshop. It seems pointless to have it cleaned when you'd only have to do it again a month or so later.

I was determined to keep my D800 pristine but no matter how careful you are (and I kept the 14-24mm on it for about three months) you still get dust bunnies somehow. I've given up now and the clone tool is the first one I reach for in Photoshop. It seems pointless to have it cleaned when you'd only have to do it again a month or so later.

I've read some zooms act as "vacuum cleaners", sucking in air and dust as they are zoomed. Don't know if this is true, but so far I've had good luck with the built in cleaner on the D800. On a couple of occasions, I've used a stiff shot from a rocket blower to dislodge some stubborn particles but fortunately I haven't had to do a wet clean yet.

I've read some zooms act as "vacuum cleaners", sucking in air and dust as they are zoomed. Don't know if this is true, but so far I've had good luck with the built in cleaner on the D800. On a couple of occasions, I've used a stiff shot from a rocket blower to dislodge some stubborn particles but fortunately I haven't had to do a wet clean yet.

Yes, I've heard that about zooms and it seems to be true. With me, it seems to build up and then not get any worse. My D300 got pretty bad pretty quickly but then stayed the same for years. I give them a whiz with the built in cleaner when I think of it but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

Some zoom lenses do suck air. I couldn’t get it with my 70-200 f/2.8, but I took both lens caps off my 28-70 f/2.8 and put my ear up to the end that attaches the camera and worked the zoom ring. I could actually hear and feel the air in my ear. I’ve done this with other lenses in the past when this subject came up, and there are plenty of zoom lenses that suck air when zooming. You can think of them as “dust bunny doors”.

By the way, wet cleaning isn’t that difficult to do. I generally only use a Rocket Blower to clear the bunnies, but I got some sticky oily pollen on my sensor once. Only way I could clean that off was by wet cleaning. Once you do it, you’ll realize it’s not that difficult. Just read as much as you can about it, even videos on YouTube, and give it a shot. Try to do it in as dust free of an environment as you can find. I use the bathroom after leaving the exhaust fan running for a few minutes before I do the cleaning.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom