Think my 18-135 is broken...

It won't AF on either of my camera bodies now :(

I've tried cleaning the contacts - is there something else I should be looking at?

I wonder if it would be worth sending it somewhere for repair

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd send it to Nikon for a look-see and estimate....worst case, it costs you postage and you scrap the lens. Best case, they repair it at reasonable cost.

Luckily there's a local authorized nikon service place that does free email estimates too - I've sent them an estimate request so we'll see what they say

just would hate to spend $1-200 to fix a $200 lens :p

EDIT: just got an email back from them - there is no charge to take a look at it - but normally repair cost for this lens is $104.00 + return shipping :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine broke a while ago when my son pulled it off the counter top and as the picture suggest not a great break but $130-200+ to fix, needless to say its still broken.

The repair co is KEH.com in GA

3571303382_32e944e2fb.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Luckily there's a local authorized nikon service place that does free email estimates too - I've sent them an estimate request so we'll see what they say

just would hate to spend $1-200 to fix a $200 lens :p

EDIT: just got an email back from them - there is no charge to take a look at it - but normally repair cost for this lens is $104.00 + return shipping :(

Yeah that doesnt sound too worth it, when you could get a brand new one for not too much more.

yeah no doubt - guess I should put up a WTB and see if anyone's interested

although I suppose I could sell my 18-135 as is for like $100 and let someone else pay to get it fixed

and wow Tony - yeah you broke yours good - mine still looks normal and it'll zoom and manual focus still...

Latest threads

Top Bottom