Think Tank Airport Antidote + 200-400VR owners advice.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Richard Peters, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Hi everyone, I am toying with getting the above mentioned bag for a trip to Miami I have coming up.

With that in mind, I was wondering if there is anyone here who owns one and a 200-400 and could maybe post a photo to show how much gear can fit in the bag alongside this lens?

I want to take all the kit in my signature (flash optional, not that bothered about taking that), would the Antidote be up to the task...?!

Thanks in advance :) 

2. jimgrif

jimgrif

Jan 24, 2006
    Georgia
    I've got one on the way, but it will be a few days. The person I bought it from says you can fit a 200-400 but it doesn't leave a whole lot of room. Almost sounds like from Thom Hogans site (under bags 101) that you almost need the acceleration for bigger lenses. Then the question becomes will it fit on the regional jets.(which the antidote will)

3. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm really interested to see how much space the 200-400 takes up! I can always go for a bigger bag but I'd like to keep size down as much as possible...

I'll check out Thoms site, thanks for the tip :) 

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have one, and the thing swallows an amazing quantity of equipment. I don't have a 200-400 to try it with, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would take that and the other stuff in your sig. Did you look at the different configurations on the Thinktank website?

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I'm the guy. I own 2 of these bags. One houses my 200-400, a row of slots that will hold a few additional lenses to the right, and a narrow row of slots to the left that will hold an SB-800 and my Wimberly Sidekick. But you will get nothing in front of or behind lens, it fills end to end, except, you can "stretch" a little for TC mounted.

I can take a photo tonight if you like.

I can tell you that you can forget putting a camera on the 200-400 mounted. Without a hood cover, with the hood reversed, you can fit the lens with 1.4 TC barely with end cap on the TC. If you put a body on with that setup, the rig will ride the bag edge around the TC edge with camera hanging over end of bag. you can also put a pro size body in a slot if you choose.

Sometimes, I do that for temporary storage while using it, and if in the trunk or next to you, it may be fine for shooting. Obviously to close bag, you got to remove the camera.

I can also tell you I love these bags for car based travel. Very functional. I basically use one for my 400 rig.

I can take a look at your requirements tonight. Mine is setup to allow a narrow slot to left, and slots to right of 200-400. This does afford some protection to my big lens in the middle. You could however configure so you have lens all the way to one side. One reason I use the middle is the bag is capable of small amounts of "morphing". That is temporarily it can remold for a slightly oblong shape, etc...

It's going to be close, but you got a shot at this working. Again, just not with camera mounted to 200-400vr

6. Doug, that would be great if you can show a shot of the 200-400 in the Antidote. I had already anticipated that it would need to go in with no camera attached but thats fine. I'm hoping there might be just enough room for the 70-200 to lay along the bag and the 28-70 to sit up, lens facing outwards and the D3 tucked in next to that.

Look forward to seeing a photo, many thanks :) 

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    ok, after much adoo about nothing, here ya go:

D3, SB-800, 200-400VR with 1.4 TC attached, 14-24 inverted, 70-200vr, and 2 lens stack which can be TC and 35mm 2.0 or such.

[​IMG]

8. Great stuff Doug, thanks for that! Seems there is plenty of room for everything in there. Having read on Thom and others sites that you need the acceleration ideally, I wasn't expecting things to fit half as well as in your picture (maybe some people prefer having the camera attached to the lens but I'm really not that bothered for transportation).

On final question...it looks as though the D3 sticks out quite far above the height of the insets, does that mean when you close the lid there is a bulky bit where the D3 is?

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    You could switch the positions of the D3 and SB800. This is a big bag for its size.

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Actually John, I did have the D3 up front, and decided to change it for the image, I can take 1 more with it up front, but basically you could put two pro bodies to side. They are a little vulnerable to side impact, true, but as long as your normally careful, it should be ok.

They really are great bags. I Was thinking before on upgrading one to a Airport Security roller, but I think I will keep these, and maybe get a roller later on as an option.

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    They are great bags. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago for a trip to DC. Since I can never bear to leave good glass at home, I carried a lot of stuff. It weighed a ton, but the bag carried very well, spreading the weight nicely.

I don't have the 200-400 (yet :smile:)  but I can get the fat boy (200VR) plus a bunch of other stuff in this thing.

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    The body furtherest away in image does stress zipping. The 14-24 topside does stress zipping a little. I never push these bags to that limit, I think you could probably work with them and get things aligned a little better, but as you see, the bag is capable of morphing a little. I do feel the zippers were a little tough, later maybe I can remove one body, replace the 14-24 with something, and try this again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Thanks again Doug. As long as the D3 doesn't cause too much stressing when the lid is closed I think I can deal with that. the acceleration I think would be a little too big for my needs!

My only worry now will be getting on the plane with a bag that weighs more than the 6kg I'm allowed. I'm hoping I can call ahead and arrange for them to allow for it given the high value or see if I can pay for the extra weight. Basically anything but checking it in!!

14. FWIW - I had my Antidote loaded with 2 bodies, 70-200, 18-200, a MacBook, and a bunch of accessory junk and was way over the 6kg limit on some flights in South America. At check-in, I just placed the bag down at the counter, went about my business getting my tickets, and strolled off. At the gates, I just hand carried it and pretended it was light. I had no problems. No one questioned me. It fit in all the overheads - so no problems there.

15. The problem for me is, I'm flying with Virgin who I have been told have a stright policy and weigh all hand luggage at the UK side. I've called them to see if there is anything I can do but they have told me no bag over 6kg will be allowed as hand luggage and all I can do is check it in as a fragile item which 'apparently' means it does not go through the same process as regular checked in luggage...

16. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    well on weight, your on your on, lol. They do get a bit heavy loaded to the gill.

Ok, just as I suspected. I replaced the 14-24 with a 17-35, with hood down, it's a bit of a tight fit but works. I lifted up my 70-200 first, and positioned 17-35, then sit the 70-200 back so it's small cap rides a little on 17-35 through padding. Make sense?

I replaced the back body with SB-800, and just as I thought it zips muchhhh better, with only a slight kink at the body. not bad at all. My largest concern is the size of the beast. I've had it, I know it's a fat lens. I am afraid with the hood it may cause you issues. I did stuff the 70-200 hood in, and while tight, it could be made to work, but you'll have to evaluate how much larger the beast hood is than the 70-200, as I do not have a beast, I have 24-70 now.

17. Chances are I'd not bother taking the SB800 so I could store the hood from the beast in that compartment so that should be fine I think. I'm still thinking this is the bag for me as I'm sure I could get all my required kit in, again its just the weight thats the potential problem.

If it comes down to it I may have to rent a 200-400 or similar length lens when I get over there as I'm still not convinced with the sound of 'fragile check in' for my gear!

18. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I don't like the sound of check in at all for my gear. uhhh, can you say fully insure?

19. I've decided that as the 200-400 can't come with me now I'm going to hold off buying the bag as I can put the money towards other things for now (I already have a bag that will be fine for all my other gear if the big glass isn't coming).

Thanks for all your help though Doug, at least I know now I will be buying this bag at some point!

20. Another thought to meet weight...
    Put a lens on camera and carry camera on your shoulder...
    then after weight check, put gear back in bag.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.