Think Tank Pro Modulus Belt System

Do any of you use or have tried this belt system. It catches my interest. But I'm just not sure. I will generally have the D2X, Tokina 12-24, Nikon 28-70, 70-200 Vr and 300VR. With 1.4 and 1.7 converters. Probably not generally all at one time. But sometimes I would have it all with me and a D70.

I got Franks (eng45ine) take on it. But now I'm wanting to get some info from some who has used it. Thanks

I prefer the Kinesis belt myself for one reason only. The Think Tank, as I recall from seeing them at our local Pro Store, do not work well with modules from other companies, such as LowePro, Tamrac and Kinesis. Kinesis however does, and they have an adapter for bags that don't use the "flap" on the back that many do. More info can be found at The Kinesis Website.

That having been said, and noting that I have been a VERY happy Kinesis user, the Think Tank product looks very well made, and used in conjunction with their accesories looks quite good. Just for me, having a variety of Lowe/Tamrac/Kenesis, the Kinesis suited my purposes the best.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Rex,
I have the pro modulas set and it is very good. I am short on time this minute but will try to give better particulats later today

D

DoorMan

I have the pro modulas set Rex. I like it a lot. You might not want to carry all of the stuff at once. I have several of the Think Tank items and all are top notch quality.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
The beauty of the pro modulas set is that as Herb indicated, you set it up according to the needs of the shoot. Most often I will carry a big lens on the camera and have landscape stuff in the belt set or macro. It is comfortible, easy to change set ups and very well made.

Is there a lens pouch that will handle the 300 2.8 VR?

Thanks for the Kinesis site, Bill. I am looking into those also.

sorry Rex, but no. I use a kenesis for that

First off, Dave, Feisol arrived, WOW! I'll send you a PM :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back On Topic. Is there a way, on the Think Tank, to attach stuff from Kinesis and others as well, or only the Think Tank bits? As I recall, and could be entirely wrong so I don't want to perpuate "incorrectness", the attachment points on the Think Tank are narrower than on the others.

And I sure would not have any issue recommending the Think Tank stuff either, with the exception of their "cutesy" names for things :wink:

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
The kenesis bag I used for the 300 2.8 was not one that you would want on a belt system. It has a great shoulder strap and I carried the body/TC/Lens with hood reversed in it. It is the model 311.

Rex, you may want to be creative or your 300 travel mate if you decide to go with the Modulus for everything else. For example, as long as you feel comfortable with the decision, there's nothing saying it has to be in a photo bag. It can be in any bag that works with your system.

I have a Mountain Smith tour bag I sometimes, carry with my modulus that will hold my 200VR, I have a new leather single shoulder sling that I can use for different lenses, day pack stuff. Another option, a bag like the Rover AW, you can rip the dividers out, remove the section to top and fit vertically in this. It carries well, and is a light pack. Bottom line, be creative, or you could just use the Nikon bag that comes with the 300, it is a very nice case.

If you do get the Modulus, get the pixel racing harness too which helps distribute weight from hips to shoulders. Be sure to get the XL belt.

I think Lowepro's stuff will fit the belt, but you won't use the plastic tab, just the velcro.

Is there a lens pouch that will handle the 300 2.8 VR?

Thanks for the Kinesis site, Bill. I am looking into those also.

I use the Think Tank Glass taxi for the 300 - it will hold the d200/d2h mounted to a TC1.4 and the 300 - it is a backpack - hand held or a shoulder strap arrangement. There is even room alongside the lens to keep some other things alongside the D2h/300.

As many others have agreed - think tank products are made very well.

Thanks Doug and Mark. My 300 should be here today. I had wondered about the case that comes with it. I know its a soft side case now.

Thanks Doug and Mark. My 300 should be here today. I had wondered about the case that comes with it. I know its a soft side case now.

I don't know about the case for the 300, but the one for the 200-400 holds the 200-400 and a D200 body quite nicely and has a decent shoulder strap as well. You do have to remove some of the inner padding bits to carry the body as well, but it is very well protected in any case. You may find that the Nikon case itself is sufficient. I was really, and pleasantly, surprised about the one for the 200-400.

Kinesis. TT, you can't lose either way. I use a Kinesis camera holster and the TT belt, but not together. They don't seem to be compatible, but TT is making compatible holsters now that fit the belt. I strongly suggest the harness or at least a shoulder strap if carrying anything heavy. Things can droop, but then I don't have much of a waist(just a lot of bulk:wink: ).

Also Henry's in Canada is dropping the line and prices are low if you want to pick and choose pieces, should you decice that way.

The 200-400 case is nice case, and big, true. I never really liked to carry it much, but a few people do, some have even adapted a full backpack carry system on it for both shoulders.

I'm selling my 200-400, correction it's sold. I'm getting a 300 2.8 myself for something different to shoot and the case for the 300 is the same as for the 200VR, only maybe a difference in overall size. Exact same design. These are NOT designed to hold a body too, believe me. Nice? You bet, but totally different design.

For the record, I've never carried my 200VR case either.

Of late, I've carried my 200 and 200-400 in a Pelican soft case with dividers stripped out except for custom setup for 2 lenses. This stays in my trunk, but options a full shoulder harness if need be.

IF I needed a large lens on backpack location, then I used the Rover AW, or another custom case. I guess I'm a customizer, and I do not prefer extra large back packs, I found them far to difficult to manage, including loaded weight stress when hoisting up. I prefer to distribute weight among 2 systems.

Doug

The Nikon case that came with my 300 does not have room for a camera - it is very well padded but there is no extra room. I prefer not to mess with a seperate camera body and the 300 in the field - I prefer to take them both out and pull it out of the bag and start shooting.

The 200-400 case is nice case, and big, true. I never really liked to carry it much, but a few people do, some have even adapted a full backpack carry system on it for both shoulders.

I'm selling my 200-400, correction it's sold. I'm getting a 300 2.8 myself for something different to shoot and the case for the 300 is the same as for the 200VR, only maybe a difference in overall size. Exact same design. These are NOT designed to hold a body too, believe me. Nice? You bet, but totally different design.
Doug

That's a bummer WRT the 300 case vs. the 200-400 case. When I have a walk to do where I can't use my Jogging Stroller to carry my gear, my harness goes on my Kinesis 511 for the 400 f2.8 with one D200, the 200-400 straps on the side of that, tripod as well, the whole mess then clips to my Kinesis belt and off I go with 40lbs of so of "stuff" well distributed. Nice part is that it all comes apart for travel into component pieces. Which is why I have come to prefer the modular systems like Kinesis and Think Tank as I can remove the shoulder harness, pack that in checked luggage, and use the lens cases as carry-on. Plus, it is much more comfortable when I have to carry the bits.

As Dave noted, the Kinesis bag for the 300 is the 311, the 511 holds the "bigger stuff".

I just picked up a couple of Think Tank items - the Digital Holster 20 and Speedbelt Pro - and FWIW I'm very pleased with the purchase. I'll be adding more Think Tank pieces to the belt over time.

Latest threads

Top Bottom