Think Tank Products

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eng45ine, Dec 12, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone use any Think Tank products? I was interested in their Pro Speed Belt, Lightning Fast pouch, Lens Changer 25 pouch and R U Thirsty pouch. I was curious if anyone can offer some comment on the quality of their products and if this type of system is comfortable/practical/cumbersome. etc. Thanks for your opinions!

2. Frank
    I have several of their products and think very highly of them all. I have the airport addicted bag, the bazooka tripod case and the pro speed modulus belt system. all are designed with the end user in mind and I can tell you that they will not dissapoint.
    Dave

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Dave...I think that I will purchase the Pro Speed Belt and some associated lens pouches after the beginning of the year. I like the concept of having everything I need at my waist instead of toting around a camera bag. Thanks for offering your opinion.

4. Frank, I have similar products from competing companies. My belt is from Kinesis and I have pouches from Tamrac and LowePro. I even have a ThinkTank gizmo for holding CF cards, holds 10 in a very nifty roll-up package. First I'll make a couple of comments on these types of systems, then address ThinkTank directly.

I find this to be the most comfortable and versatile system I have ever had. The convenience, for me, is much better than the backpack I used to use. For "heavy" loads I have adapted my belt to clip to a LowePro S&F Vest to distribute weight across my shoulders. I chose the Kinesis belt after about 30 minutes on the phone with Kinesis talking about what I didn't like about the Lowe and Tamrac belts I had. They were correct, the Kinesis is much more comfortable to me. Don't know directly about the ThinkTank belt.

As to ThinkTank, here are my impressions:

1. I hate the "catchy" names :wink: , but then I hate them with Crumpler and Kata as well, and they are all great products.
    2. The belt and pouches have one very nice feature, that I can make work on the Kinesis as well. That is the ability to have them "fixed" or "sliding" on the belt. Good design. It also looks like the belt is similar to the Kinesis in that you can mount Tamrac and Lowe accessories as well.
    3. Buckle System is one place they seem to be a bit better than Kinesis, I think, but then again this is from the pictures only.

I would not hesitate at all to buy from them, but I think you should take a look at the Kinesisproducts as well, these both appear to be a cut above the Tamrac and Lowe versions in my opinion.

I will even use my belt when just out and about, and sometimes will just clip my utility case directly to my belt if I don't need anything else, my pants belt that is :wink:

I think you will like these, let us know what you decide.

5. I just received a Bazooka tripod case from Think Tank. Problem is, it sorta doesn't fit the Gitzo 1325. I say sorta, because it has an inside diameter of 5". The 1325 is 5" across at the plate. It's sorta like the glove in the O.J. trial. It will go on but it is a serious squeeze. Taking it off is not much fun either. It could stretch with time like a tight pair of shoes, but it really needs to be about an inch wider at the top. It's going back tomorrow. Too bad, I wanted it to work.

On the positive side it is well made and for tripods that fit in it, I would highly recommend it. Very little wasted room as it collapses to the size of the tripod w/ or w/o head attached. It would probably be perfect for 2 series or less.

I wonder if anyone else has tried it with the 1325 and a BH-55. It could be that mine is just sewn together a bit less than 5" in diameter. I am going to order the Kinesis tripod bag. It looks like it comes the closest to what I want.

6. I just recently received the ThinkTank items I ordered. Very well made, high quality. Work as advertised. Easy to mix and match what one wants. Got them from Penn Camera, excellent service.

7. Scott,
    I had the bazooka and I let it go when I sold my Gitzo 1228 as I could NOT get my 1348 and ballhead in it. It is a nice bag tho.
    Larry- I love the products I have from them, use my pro speed modulus set all the time, is that what you got?
    Dave

8. Actually, I may have spoken too soon. I have a slik 804 CF Pro tripod and a RRS BH-40 that I use for my light lenses. With the head, it's about 20". It fits this rig perfectly and collapses to a tripod case that is exactly the size of the pod and head with no wasted room. I like it for this setup and have decided to hang onto it. :biggrin:

9. Glad it works for you Scott.

Dave, I got the works. :)
    So far using the Speed Racer beltpack with a couple of the other accessories from the pro kit. The first belt was too small but fit my wife. I think she may consider carrying some gear for me sometimes. :)
    One needs to use a tape to measure their waist as belt sizes do not relate to the lengths they show as they use inches, not belt sizes.

10. jlphotog

jlphotog Guest

There is nothing better than Think Tank Products. I have the Airport Addicted back pack. Big enough for every piece of equipment I need to take with me, including my 15.4" laptop. And yet it is still comfortable enough to wear on the back even with all that weight in it. Of course Think Tank has just upgraded it to a roller case, which makes more sense.

I also have the Speed Demon waist pack. This is without a doubt the waist pack I have been seeking for the past 13 years. Along with this pack I picked up the Whip It Out case, Lightning Fast case and the R U Thirsty case. And of course with the Speed Demon comes the Pixel Pocket Rocket. It holds 10, yes 10 CF cards and comes with a tether.

All Think Tank products I have come in contact with are very well thought out, designed and built. Plus they give their products great names. (Pixel Pocket Rocket, Whip It out)

I Kinda feel Doug Murdoch was being held back by the marketing Dept when he was at LowePro. Think Tank actually has two great Photographers as co-founders. Deanne Fitzmaurice who is a 2005 Pulitzer Prize winner and her Husband Kurt Rogers who is a great Photographer himself. With two working photojournalists on staff and the input of numerous others who are out there on a daily basis, they couldn't help but produce great products.

Plus if you have any questions about their products, just send them an email. Doug answers personally and most of the time within a couple of hours.

11. Jan- I agree on ALL of the points you bring up. I actually called thinktank whren I ran into the belt size issues brought up by Larry. Doug answered the call and got the stuff coming to me ASAP.
    Dave

12. jlphotog

jlphotog Guest

By the way, For anyone ordering Think Tank gear, you should give some serious consideration to ordering from Henry's up here in Canada. They have all Think Tank gear on sale right now. With this sale they are by far the least expensive of any of the dealers. They are even cheaper that ordering direct from Think Tank.

Example of Henry's pricing.

Airport Addicted at Henry's $280.44 USD + $12.95 USD shipping to the USA, $9.95 CAD to Canada
    Airport Addicted at Penn Camera $389.00 USD
    Airport Addicted at Think Tank $389.00 USD

Their web site is www.henrys.com

And no I don't work for them, I am just a satisfied customer.

13. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Thanks Jan, I just ordered the speed belt system 12 piece. I tried another brand and was very disappointed and returned it.

14. Hope you did not use your belt size to determine which belt to order. Need to measure.

15. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Jan,

Thanks for the head's up on Henrys. The prices are great.

I've had a sticky note on the wall for some months with the additional items I wanted from Think Tank and now I've ordered them.

I have been using the Speed Racer and several pouches for about six months with great success and satisfaction.

The quality and utility of this gear is execllent. For those that might be thinking of a rolling bag for travel or just to be a high roller, check out their newest item...

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtScrty.php

I held off on ordering a pro speed belt set for the missus though. :wink:

16. I have bought the odd thing from Henry's in the past - when they were the only ones that seemed to have what I was looking for. Perfect reliability.

17. Love Think Tank Photo and the owners are great folks! They sponsor our clubs (http://www.nwpli.com/) monthly photo contest and this year sent me a Modulus Speed Set for our Photo of the Year. I will be ordering the new Airport Security Backpack when they get it back in stock. They sold out of the 1st run and are waiting for the 2nd batch. This is a really great product!!! :eek:

Jan, nice heads up...awesome!!!

18. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL

I did see the special note that Think Tank had on their web site. If you did not look at the Think Tank site you could easily make a mistake.