Thinking about a 500D filter

Well, in view of what I took to the Japanese Gardens earlier this week, I'm wondering about investing in a filter. I've played with one before up in VA and thought it fun. Just dunno which lens I should fit it for -
24-70mm 2.8 or just use it on either the 18-200 or 70-300. I was trying to lighten my load for when I go to places like the arboretums - I took my 80-200. kenkos, and even my 50mm but the 24-70 stayed on the camera most of the time. Maybe it's just my thinking, but I have only been using my best lenses (fixed apertures) for most of my photography. The 80-200 won't work because the lens is recessed and I can't quite hand-hold the 300mm (haven't tried much). I'd like to have a true macro someday, but it will have to wait.

I think you will want to compare the minimum focusing distance of your lenses. That's probably an important consideration.

Well, in view of what I took to the Japanese Gardens earlier this week, I'm wondering about investing in a filter. I've played with one before up in VA and thought it fun. Just dunno which lens I should fit it for -
24-70mm 2.8 or just use it on either the 18-200 or 70-300. I was trying to lighten my load for when I go to places like the arboretums - I took my 80-200. kenkos, and even my 50mm but the 24-70 stayed on the camera most of the time. Maybe it's just my thinking, but I have only been using my best lenses (fixed apertures) for most of my photography. The 80-200 won't work because the lens is recessed and I can't quite hand-hold the 300mm (haven't tried much). I'd like to have a true macro someday, but it will have to wait.

I bought a used one here on the Cafe (77mm) and it works great on my 70-300VR.

874203433_eww7M-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

874203082_bqGg5-L.jpg

874202764_4TXmc-L.jpg

It works like any other screw on filter. There is a little space between the front element and the filter, but that is a non-issue. BTW, it is very difficult, if not impossible to hand hold this combination because of the shallow depth of field. At least, I can't hold it still. A tripod is a must.

It works like any other screw on filter. There is a little space between the front element and the filter, but that is a non-issue. BTW, it is very difficult, if not impossible to hand hold this combination because of the shallow depth of field. At least, I can't hold it still. A tripod is a must.

Hmmm, at least I have some time before I have to figure out for sure which size to get for which lenses! I do use my tripod most of the time - except I didn't when I had a filter on my 18-200.

Thanks for the link! My 80-200 has a recessed lens and I've not tried to put anything on it. I'm not sure of the version - it's the ED AF Nikkor. I'm not sure what the "two ring" version is and I've also heard of a "push/pull" version.

I also use the 500d filter on my 80-200 f2.8D without any problems. You just have to make sure you take off the metal lens shade first, and then the lens is not so recessed. The filter will screw on to the same threads that the shade comes off of.

I think you'll find this filter works better on the higher tele lenses. It will fit on your 24-70, but the results will be better on the 80-200. The filter is designed to work on the higher end.

Fred

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Diane,

Just jot down the filter sizes of the lenses you think you might ever use the 500D with.

Then, buy step up/down rings to go from the smallest filter size to the largest (presumably 77mm).

For instance, if you had a 52mm lens (my 105 micro is a 52), a 62 mm and a 77mm:

Get rings that take you from 77mm to 62, then 62-52. You could also check about a 77-52.

They are pretty inexpensive, so I just bought several so that I have the flexibility to use about any lens I have....

And the rings work for other filters too. Polarizers for instance.

Only problem is hoods no longer work.

It's a great tool. While I have a macro lens, I'd never sell my 500D.

The 500D with an 80-200.

Macro066.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom