Thinking about a D3500 for daughter

I got my daughter a little point and shoot pocket camera for Christmas and after last Saturday's photo ops, she's got "da bug!" So for $600 I can get her the camera with 2 kit lenses. I'm open to suggestions and anything ya'll wanna add. I took photos of all my lenses to check with the camera shop about what I may have that will work on her camera. At this point, I'm not against other lenses like Tamron, but want her to be happy. I've asked her to think about her plans and dreams of what she wants to pursue. I do know she got fascinated with macro. Thanks ya'll
Just added just found the D5600. from looking at DP Review, it appears to be better? when I did a side-by-side

Last edited:
How old is she? What does she like to take photos of?

Last edited:
Mariam is 24 - she fell in love shooting close ups of tulips last Saturday, but couldn't get what she wanted which I think would take a macro lens - I have one. She likes photography in general but I think she wants to do a little of everything - scenics, flowers, animals, etc. I have a bunch of cameras but the only ones I have that are in perfect condition are my D700 and D500 - both are too much for her. No matter which camera she buys, she'll be using a tripod.

In some ways it might make more sense to move forward into the future with mirrorless -- say, buying a mirrorless APSC camera with a kit lens or two. If you go with Nikon and its mirrorless choices you and she could continue to use some of your lenses, including the 105mm macro with the FTZ adapter, too. One thing I especially appreciate about using a mirrorless camera is the electronic viewfinder so that I can see immediately whether my exposure is good or if I need to make an adjustment here or there. Also the mirrorless cameras have what is called Focus Peaking, which is really, really nice when shooting in manual so that one can be reasonably sure of getting the desired subject in focus. This is especially useful when shooting macro. A mirrorless camera body is also smaller and less bulky, weighs less than most DSLRs.

Last edited:
In some ways it might make more sense to move forward into the future with mirrorless -- say, buying a mirrorless APSC camera with a kit lens or two. If you go with Nikon and its mirrorless choices you and she could continue to use some of your lenses, including the 105mm macro with the FTZ adapter, too. One thing I especially appreciate about using a mirrorless camera is the electronic viewfinder so that I can see immediately whether my exposure is good or if I need to make an adjustment here or there. Also the mirrorless cameras have what is called Focus Peaking, which is really, really nice when shooting in manual so that one can be reasonably sure of getting the desired subject in focus. This is especially useful when shooting macro. A mirrorless camera body is also smaller and less bulky, weighs less than most DSLRs.
I don't know if going mirrorless is affordable. I'm trying to help her stay within a budget if possible

Sounds like a great starter setup. My son In law got the same kit which I supplemented with at 35 1.8, 10.5 fish and some cleaner kit stuff. Another option is kit from a good refubered/pre owned shop like KEH or other stores

I am not sure what the pricing is on a Nikon Z50 but I think that camera is fairly reasonable and I think it also comes with a kit lens (?), which would give Mariam a start, and as I said, the FTZ adapter also would be useful for you to share your F-mount lenses with her. Not sure if the adapter comes in the box, too, or if it is something which would need to be purchased separately. Others on here who have the gear already could provide more specific information than I can. Just tossing out an idea here.....

ETA: I see that while I was writing my post Terri came in with a similar recommendation, a Z50.....and suggested a used one, which would indeed bring down the price on it, too.

My advice is to be on the lookout for a Z50 two-lens kit, though it would probably be outside the price range you are considering.

The D5500 is also an excellent possibility. I used one for my lightweight hiking camera for a couple of years. And the D3500 is no slouch. If you go with the two-lens kit, be aware that the 70-300 that comes with the kit is not the VR version. I think VR is very important on a 70-300, especially for a beginner.

Real Name
Ken
Mariam is 24 - she fell in love shooting close ups of tulips last Saturday, but couldn't get what she wanted which I think would take a macro lens - I have one. She likes photography in general but I think she wants to do a little of everything - scenics, flowers, animals, etc. I have a bunch of cameras but the only ones I have that are in perfect condition are my D700 and D500 - both are too much for her. No matter which camera she buys, she'll be using a tripod.
The D700 is heavy, but can be used quite simply after initial setup (not much harder than the menu of any later Nikon bodies). And it produces great images (at no cost). Why not see if she is interested?

--Ken

Caution, many of the 2-lens kits that I've seen, both Nikon and Canon, have a NON-stabilized long zoom (70-300).
This is probably to make the kit price as low as possible.
BUT, IMHO, it is the long lens (70-300) that needs the stabilization more than the short lens (18-55).
A stabilized lens is soooo much easier to use. Today, I would NOT buy a non-stabilized long lens.

Another option:
My local high school bought the Nikon refurb D5600 + 18-140, from B&H for about $650.
Of course, now that I am looking for it, I can't find that deal.​
I REALLY like the 18-140 as a GP lens. For 80-90% of her shooting, she may not need to use another lens.
You can duplicate the kit, if you can find a refurb D5600 body and a refurb 18-140 ($250 @ Adorama).

If you can find a D3500 body only, you can make a D3500 + 18-140 kit.

Last edited:
Real Name
John
I like the Z50 and kit lens idea.
One of the advantages is the ability to use manual focus lenses(of just about any make and mount) via dumb adapter. An old 55mm 3.5 micro lens is wonderful for closeups with focus zoom or peaking via EVF or LCD. And lenses like the Meike 25mm 1.8 in z-mount are small, affordable($80) and produce decent images.

I was going to suggest looking at the Sony Alpha a5xxx or a6xxx range.
Very portable, great quality, lots of different prices, great video capabilities too and wide choice of lenses.
Otherwise the Nikon D3500 is a very capable camera, not necessarily compatible with all the lenses you have though, if you intended to share them.

Real Name
Andrew
As much as I love Nikon, I would not limit your search there. There are plenty of used kits that can be found within m43 and Fuji that would be great for a starter and allow them to grow.

For example. You can get a full kit in m43 like a used EM5/EM5II, Panasonic 12-32, Olympus 40-150/4-5.6 for not much at all. If macro is of interest, getting a set of AF extension tubes for $35 and you are good to go.

Fuji, you could get the XE2, 16-50 and 50-230 kit, same as above on the macro AF extension tubes (I have a set and love them for the very few times a year that I have a desire to do macro.

If Nikon is the way, then I'd seriously consider the Z50 and kit lenses. Mirrorless is the future and probably something a 24 year old would appreciate more. I know my daughter would and she is the same age.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree with mirrorless....and the Z50 recommendations. But - I do not and have never owned any of the other options suggested above. However, for someone starting out, I think a mirrorless makes a lot of sense.

Thanks ya'll! She'll be asking a ton of questions I"m sure. We'll be looking at least 3 cameras then the final decision will be hers. Because of her stroke, she's also looking at how much the camera weighs. I'm glad I have a bunch of tripods! TODAY should be fun and interesting plus EXCITING FOR HER

Just went on D P Review and read what people had to say about the Z50 - does sound like a nice little camera. I do worry about lenses though. We'll see what happens when we get to Arlington

That is the current "problem" with the Z50.
There are currently only TWO native lenses for the Z50. If the two lenses work for you, then all is good.
But if you want more options, you need to use a F lens on a FTZ adapter, or a non-stabilized FX Z lens.
There are more DX Z lenses on the lens road map, but no indication of when they will be available.

Real Name
David
D5300/D5500/D5600 over a D3#00 every time. The D5300 was the first D5#00 with the 39 point AF system, the D3#00 still uses the older 11 point AF system.

......I have a bunch of cameras but the only ones I have that are in perfect condition are my D700 and D500 - both are too much for her. No matter which camera she buys, she'll be using a tripod.
Why does a gift for someone just learning need to be in perfect condition?

I would probably also look at the Z50 if you want to stay with Nikon. The adapter gives her access to plenty of glass.

I will also echo @gryphon1911 and suggest you consider m4/3. There are LOTS of great bargains with both Olympus and Panasonic. You could probably build a complete kit with 24-300mm eq zooms, a fast prime, and a macro for under a $1k with used and or refurbished. If you're at all interested let me know and I can get into more specifics about body and lens recommendations.

Real Name
Ken
Thanks ya'll! She'll be asking a ton of questions I"m sure. We'll be looking at least 3 cameras then the final decision will be hers. Because of her stroke, she's also looking at how much the camera weighs. I'm glad I have a bunch of tripods! TODAY should be fun and interesting plus EXCITING FOR HER
If weight is an issue I would also recommend looking at m4/3rd's bodies and lenses. They are lightweight and affordable. You can buy a new GX85 with a two lens kit for under $600. Or, you could buy a used E-M1 and look for some good used glass like the 12-40. This is a killer combination for weight/cost/IQ. And Panasonic and Olympus cameras can be controlled from phone apps for major functions.

Good luck,

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom