Thinking about Teleconverter for 70-200VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by yahtzee, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Would love to have the reach of the 2.0 but hear its soft...the 1.7 seems like it would work as well but dont know much about it...the 1.4 seems like it would be that much more reach....opinions/suggestions?

2. I have the 14eII and works like a charm, cant honestly say I see any degradation.........a must have and you cant go wrong!

3. Had the same problem myself. I wanted that 2.0 reach really badly, but in the end, I purchased the 1.7eII. Here's one of my shots with that combo.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. If I didn't already have the 14E and the 20E, and could only get one, I'd go for the 17E, which I may add anyway. I think I have gotten lucky with the copy of th 20E that I have:

This is an unusual image in that it is my D2H with the Sigma 500 f4.5 HSM plus the TC 14E plus the TC 20E. I don't do this often, but since I have seen the results I am willing to give it a go now and then. Mounted on a Wimberly Sidekick, Kirk BH-3 and Gitzo 1228, all locked down tight as a drum and me holding my breath :wink: .
    DSC2227Frame.

Here is another with just the TC 20E mounted to a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 HSM:
    DSC5717Frame.sized.

From what I have seen of the 17E it looks superb as well. These TC's have been modified to work with the non-AFS lenses.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Yahtzee,

I know that David M. (Mutter) first had the 2.0 converter with the 70-200VR and he wasn't pleased with it..You may want to ask him about your question.

Gaye

6. I now have all three. I just got the 1.7 last week and I use all three in different shooting circumstances. Each has it's place and use.

The 1.4 is almost like having no TC attached. I notice no difference at all inn the image except for a bit more reach and a very small f stop hit.

The 2.0 can yield a nice image if it is on a good tripod and the VR is off (if you are using a VR lens). It also costs a bit of speed with a loss of two f-stops. Okay for outdoor in good light but a compromise in less than perfect light. I don't recommend it for hand held use but you can get lucky at high shutter speeds. again this is compromise because you give up some DOF with a larger aperture and higher shutter speed (which could be desireable in some cases for the bokeh).

The 1.7 seems to be the one to go with if you can only have one. It is sharper than the 2.0 and costs less in f stop speed. It will yield more hand held keepers than the 2.0. Probably less than the 1.4 (if you are a perfectionist) but on a tripod I don't see any significant difference between the 1.4 and the 1.7 as far as detail and contrast.

If you are mostley shooting hand held and have a VR lens and occasionally use a tripod, I would go with the 1.7. It also works great with the 2x crop sensor of the D2x (HSC).

Handheld comparisons are difficult because each shooting circumstance and each user has a different ability to hold a camera still and this is really the test of a TC because most shots in the real world are hand held.

None is really a replacement for a quality long lense, but the portable size and weight can make a very nice companion while traveling to a 70-200 without breaking your back or the bank.

7. I have the two: TC14EII and the TC20EII. Very pleased with the 14 on the 70-200VR, the 20 is noticeably softer but then again, was using both handheld. I love very sharp, crisp images so I'll probably be using the 14 more than the 20 - will save the 20 for tripod, no VR shots, as suggested. Have always been planning on doing tripod sharpness tests but haven't gotten around to it.

8. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    can you share some images of the teleconverters on the 70-200?

thanks

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
  10. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    wow, looks great...that the 1.7 tele?

11. One of the reasons I bought the 70-200mm lens was for the f2.8 part of it. With the 1.4TC you only lose a stop of light and plus it is still very sharp. I recommend that.

12. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Question for all: I didn't think you could use the Nikon teleconverters with other lenses, i.e. Bill talks of using them with Sigma lenses??

linm

13. Yup, you just have to cheat :wink:

Here is a link to the information, be forewarned this will void your warranty as you have to modify the ring on the mount to remove a very small tab. In theory you could do this without removing the ring, but I would not attempt that myself, this modification does not affect the performance on Nikon AFS lenses at all.

http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/

This allows you to do a couple of things.

1. Use the TC's on non-Nikon lenses
    2. Use them on non-AFS lenses
    3. Stack either the TC-14 or the TC-17 along with the TC-20 for the massive reach you see above

As I stated in my post above, perhaps I am just lucky as I don't see really bad fall-off in quality with my TC-20, even when stacked, then again maybe my eyes are just bad or I'm not at all picky :lol:

Along with the loss of light, the focal length multiplier is not reported when I use these with my Sigma lenses which is why the GBH shot above shows 500mm and not 1400mm.

14. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Purpose of small tab?

Bill;

Do you know the purpose of the small tab? What, if any, functionality will I lose by removing it?

It looks easy to do, but, I'm nervous about it!

Lin

15. Here's the 70-200+1.7tc. at 340mm. Not too bad for handheld 510mm 35mm equivalent.

The shot was wide open and I was showing the combo to one of my partners and I specifically set out to isolate her husband in the crowd with the very selective DOF.
    Sharp enough wide open and DOF just right to my eyes for this purpose.

The 1.7 is the nice in-the-middle TC compromise for me. 1.4 rarely used now, maybe never.

16. mca

mca Guest

Hey Guy's

I have both the 20x 1.7 t/c I used mostly the 1.7 with my 70-200vr are you saying to keep the vr off? I shoot mainly baseball with my d2x. most of time it's hand held. thank's mike