Thinking it's the camera that's the problem now.........

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by lisa_h, Oct 2, 2008.

1. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Okay so if you didn't see my vent about the nikon lenses here.......
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=191155
    then the rest of this post may not make any sense. LOL.
    So tonight I put my 85 1.4 on the D700 and out of about 25 shots I got maybe 5 in focus. Interestingly enough the 5 that were in focus were ones that were either straight on or ones where she was laying on the ground and I was standing above her. So now I'm thinking (and some of you mentioned it over on the lens thread) that it could, indeed, be my camera causing the focus problems :mad:

For example-- here you can see where my focus point was and yet it looks to me like her fingers and her forehead are in focus?

2905796519_c620fe3635_o.png

and here while the focus is on her left eye--- her right seems sharper to me
    View attachment 261698

I hate to keep whining about this, lol. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do. The shutter speed was sufficient here---1/1250 and f/ 1.8

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Have you dialed in the AF Fine Tuning on the D700 for each lens?

If the lens is consistently front or back focusing, the AF Fine Tuning feature might take care of the issue.

Glenn

3. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Yeah and if I'm using it right--- it's not helping. All you do is go to to AF fine tune and you are adjusting the saved value while leaving the default at zero? Is that correct?

AND I feel stupid asking but if the lens is always focusing on say the hands vs. the eyes than that is considered back or front focusing?

4. Lisa, I'd have to say that if this is happening on all your lenses then it's the camera.

If the eye was your focus point and her hands are in front of her eyes, then it's front focusing.

The second one doesn't seem as bad as the first one. Did you adjust it in between shots?

5. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    No I didn't.

So can anyone tell me if the correct way to fix this w/ the AF fine tune would be to set it to + ??

And then, again, am I just adjusting the adjust part and leaving the default alone???

6. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Lisa,

Have you tried calling Nikon tech support? I called them a couple of years ago and sent them a sample image. They were very helpful.

7. That is correct. The Default Value would affect every lens in the same exact manner (I believe it's for camera errors). The Saved Value is what you adjust for lenses (up to 12 of them).

It's possible there is something wrong with the camera that these adjusts won't cure. I would definitely open a case with Nikon. You can do it by phone or here under "Ask a Question" (and you can attach photo's as well).
    Good luck and let us know what develops.

8. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Thanks Bob.

Geoff thanks for the link. I just sent them the sample images and an explanation. We'll see what happens :) I'll keep you posted.

9. schwann

schwann

Sep 7, 2008
    San Antonio. TX
    bummer....hope you get a good answer and fix from Nikon.....btw, on the first pic, the hair, just were it starts to part, above the forehead, that area seems to be in focus.....

10. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    yeah I thought so too--- her forehead AND her fingers seem to be in focus??

11. I shoot with the D3 so I believe my experience may also apply to your D700. The lenses I normally use are the 70-200 and 28-70, both AF-S models. I also use on occassion the 50 f1.4 AF-D and 85 f1.4 AF-D. I don't test my lenses for focus as a rule but do carefully evaluate my real-world results. When I use my f1.4 lenses I am almost always wide open so any focus errors tend to be obvious

While focus with my AF-S lenses has been spot on - both AF-D lenses front focused and required an AF Fine Tune correction. Looking at your shots the errors are similar to what I experienced before adjustment.

12. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Thanks Luke. I just put my 50mm on and did an AF +20 and on inanimate objects anyway, it seems to be focusing well. I am off to pick the kids up at school and will test it on some human subjects and see what's up. Interesting you say that b/c all my lenses at this point are the AF-D.

13. Well if all your lenses are off then it would seem Nikon needs to calibrate your camera. I would suggest you methodically test each lens and keep a detailed log and relay all that info to Nikon (the way I see it is the more info you give them the better off you'll be).

That said if all the lenses are off I would suggest you try setting the Default Value to correct as many lens problems as you can and then use Saved Value to tweak any lenses that need it. Ultimately though I would send it back to Nikon for repair. My experience is they have a quick repair turn around for new model cameras (especially if you haven't had it long).

14. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi lisa-

her head is tilted relative to the sensor in the first photo, which puts the upper left side of her hair and her fingers to be in the same plane of focus. in the second photo, her face is perpendicular to the sensor, so only her eyes are in focus.

ricky

15. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    only her (our) left eye is in focus

16. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    that's what I see too. Thanks.

17. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Lisa - the first shot seems to be a strange result. Why not try a test using a staggered row of vertical matchsticks (fixed to a table) and the 85mm lens wide open (camera on a tripod).

Try autofocussing on one stick (so that all other sticks are out of focus) and use NX to see if you get the same result as you got in pic 1. Then repeat the test using manual focus on the same matchstick.

If the same error occurs in the AF test but not in the manual focus test, send NX screengrabs of both pics to Nikon.

18. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    I don't have my camera with me right now, but isn't there also a global enable setting in addition to the lens adjustment.

Bob

19. Well if it's happening to all your lenses then I'd have to say yes, it's the camera's problem.

However, in the case of the 85 1.4, if you're shooting at f/1.4 and approx 5 feet away from the subject, the DOF is only an inch. Are you certain the subject or yourself didn't move just slightly?

20. dwind

dwind Guest

Sometimes I wonder if the focus point is quicker than the lens can move. Hard to explain and I'm probably wrong but I've noticed on mine with d lenses - ones with the screw drive, that the focus point starts jumping around and wonder if the camera focus and lens travel are in sync. Have you tried manual focus by chance?