Thinking of purchasing older Manual Focus lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by watsonD50, Jul 1, 2007.

1. however I am not sure which ones will work with my D50. I know some will loose metering, and some can actually damage the camera. What indicators will tell me whether the lens will meter and whether it will work with my cam ?

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. There are a few websites out there with the information about which lenses will work and in what modes. Usually it is A or M, sometimes P.

Here is a link I have saved that describes some of that info.

Lens Compatibility

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    If I recall correctly, Ai and Ai-S will mount, exposure and focus is manual. Ai-P will mount, meter, focus manually. Pre-Ai lenses are a no-no.

If you're handy with your hands, you can 'Ai' a pre-lens yourself. (I have a tutorial link if you would like) I think there are still a couple of folks doing this conversion semi-commercially.

Hopefully BLW or one of the other more knowledgeable guys will chime in with the real story.

4. You've got it right - the only thing you left out was that pre-AI lenses can be "AI'ed" - www.aiconversions.com

5. I looked

on KEH at used manual focus primes and boy some of those guys are expensive - i was thinking i might find some bargains, but I suppose the value keeps going up and up and up. Any recommendations on some great bargains ? I really would prefer the camera to meter (I am just not as smart as my matrix meter :wink:).

Daniel

6. Yes, the prices for a lot of AI/AIS lenses have increased recently - by as much as 35%. What sort of thing are you seeking? There are a fair number of bargins, but let's narrow down the field first.

7. Dennyd80

Dennyd80 Guest

Look for AI or AIS glass. They won't meter with your D50, but the histogram doesn't lie. I shoot in manual mode exclusively with my gear and I usually don't even use metering. The histogram and bracket shooting work best for me.

If you're thinking of buying some AIS glass don't wait too long. The prices have been increasing lately. Some of the lenses are selling used on ebay and other sources for close to the original street price when the lens was introduced. A used mint condition 85 F/1.4 AIS sold on Ebay recently for $550 US. That's about what it sold for new at introduction.

With prices for Pro-level Nikkor AF/AFS glass going into the stratosphere, these older MF lenses can only go up in value.

8. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Daniel, looking at what you currently own, i suggest you get yourself a 105mm 2.5 AI or AIS. They're still relatively cheap and have been labeled a 'legend' with good reason.