Thinking of returning D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by CliffB, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I have had my D300 for only a week, so I may be screwing up some settings. However, I am having terrible results in regarrd to noise. I have used a D70 for 3 years. I bought the D300 in search of better high ISO results. In comparing shots from the D70, with no noise reduction, against the D300, with High ISO noise reduction on low, the D70 runs rings around the D300 at equal ISO settings.

The noise on the D70 has a smooth texture that is easily removed in pp. The D300 noise is very grainy, like grains of sand. Applying just moderate amounts of sharpening makes the image look like it is covered with dandruf.

I only have a couple of days left to return the camera; but, before I do, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered anything similar, and if there is anything that I should try before giving up on this camera. I love the way this camera handles, and really do not want to give it up; but, if I can get better results with my older camera, there is no sense in keeping the new one.

2. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

Exposure, exposure, exposure.

Read the other noise-related threads. If you have such a noisy image in raw format and upload it (yousendit.com), I show you the true exposure.

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I had the D300 for a week rental, so I was comparing it to my D70 every chance I got... There's no comparison. The D300 was giving me images upto ISO4000 that looked like the D70 at ISO800.

4. Thanks for the offer. I went to yousendit, but did not know the address to send you a file.

Anyway, I found part of the problem. The camera was applying a small amount of sharpening to the images. With the sharpening turned off, the noise has been drastically reduced. Then, sharpening in pp does not introduce the unsightly noise. OK, one stupid mistake corrected.

I guess that I will have to experiment with the camera further to get it set to produce images that are more to my liking.

5. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    When evaluating sharpness 6mp files 100% view is recommended. With 12mp files 50% is recommended. Many others complained of noise at first when going from 6 to 12mp.

6. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

One Week with camera.....Wow...It took me a month or so of shooting experimentation, reading the manual, Shooting, reading the manual, shooting..etc. before I could get comfortable and another month to get consistent with imaging...and I did pretty good with the D80 before I got the D300...

Hang in there..It will all fall into place...

Regards..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  7. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

I don't know who recommended that, but it is certainly wrong.

When judging the sharpening, the image on the monitor should always be displayed in the same size, or approximately so, as it will appear on paper, or on monitor if prepared for computer or TV presentation.

Example: if you plan to print something 6"x8", then reduce the viewing size until it appears about 6x8 on the monitor.

One consequence of this is, that the image should never be sharpened in-camera. Instead, the sharpening has to be adjusted to the intended presentation.

8. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana
    I just got a D300 as well and have had a little "stress" regarding similar concerns, however, I am coming from a 30D which was much better than any Nikon CCD camera. I think I am sorting things out, slowly. Once I do and learn the camera better I think I will remember why I got the D300 in the first place. I have never picked up a camera and had it just feel good to hold. I think the D300 has the best grip I've ever used.

9. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

It is ok, if you solved the problem.

Only for future reference: you don't need to register with yousendit if the file is under 25 MB, and you don't need to user real email addresses. You can use a fictional one for yours and for the receiver as well. After uploading the file you get a page displaying the URL for the download. You can post that here, and then everyone, who is interested can download it for seven (or ten?) days long.

10. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Gabor,

Now that you have challenged this thought, I would imagine this advice came from the fact that people were used to seeing a certain field of view at 6mp, and when they shifted to 12mp, they were seeing twice the magnification. By going from 100% to 50% view, it would give the person the same area of the image they are used to seeing on their screen.

Anyhow, thank you for correcting my ignorance. I am still a pup when it comes to PP. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  11. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

Did you waste your money on a DSLR? You should have purchased a point and shoot.

12. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

Sharpening is always to be applied as the last step after you have re-sized and re-sampled the image to the final size. So if you are making a 4x6 print at 300 DPI you would re-sample the image to 1200 x1800 pixels. This resample will greatly reduce the noise to undetectable levels and then you apply a sharpening filter that is only powerful enough to bring out details that can be seen in the small 4x6 print, sharpening always introduces artifacts.

My guess is that you are looking at 100% blow ups of your work on a computer monitor. This is very unrealistic and no one but you would ever look at the image that way.

If you follow the conventional workflow and resample to final size, then sharpen only as much as is required your images should be as good as as possible.

13. ... and that would be wrong. Going from 6 to 12mp only doubles the number of pixels, but going from a 100% view to a 50% one reduces the image size by a factor of 4. At 100%, each pixel on screen is a pixel in the actual image, whereas at 50%, one pixel on screen represents 4 pixels in the actual image, 2 each in the x and y axis.

14. the noise was a problem with me at first as well.... i went from the D60 to the D300 and was kinda used to underexposing a bit from by jpeg shooting days...

now i expose to the right and stay away from vivid.... or any in camera mod's if i can... just shoot flat and deal with everything in post...

now i don't really even notice an issue... but i agree with respect to the fact this problem should be fixed... my underexposed D60 raw's never looked so bad..

15. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

Yes, photographers need to learn expose properly.

I bet your D60 shots were not so underexposed. If you disagree, then pls post a noisy D300 raw file and a comparable D60.

16. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

Try the bracketing function and experiment with different exposure levels..