Thinking of trading my Beast for the infamous 85mm 1.4

But I have to wait until I can run Lightroom later this evening to check what focal lengths I use most and etc. I do love primes and I am addicted to 1.4 - do you think this would be a bad move? I would probably replace the Beast later down the line with the 35-70 2.8, but for now I would just have my Sigma Dirty Thirty and my shuffling feet to cover the focal lengths the beast covers for me now. I don't know. I might not be thinking straight.....NAS has got the best of me!

Don't you have a wedding lined up in October? That's really hard to say since you'll still need to find a replacement for the beast for your wedding shoot...

Francis,
I think they are different and complementary lenses. I wouldn't sell the beast to get the 85, maybe you could afford the 1.8 which is however very good. I already passed through the 1.4 lust period... you can do less, if you want, believe me.
I know that having "1.4" printed or engraved somewhere is really a "temptation", though...

Look at this, as you see there is no or little difference (pictures taken from Nikon and Photozone website):
Remember that not always the larger aperture wins optically... it has much many cons to fight !

85 F/1.8
pic_002.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

85 F/1.4
pic_002.gif

mtf.gif

mtf.gif

Don't you have a wedding lined up in October? That's really hard to say since you'll still need to find a replacement for the beast for your wedding shoot...

I have 2! Well, one is my Sister's....
I think I would definitely have a replacement by then.....you know me..

Thanks for being the voice of reason, but I can definitely notice differences in the samples that have been posted, especially with the bokeh and the low-light capabilities.

Look at this, as you see there is no or little difference (pictures taken from Nikon and Photozone website):
Remember that not always the larger aperture wins optically... it has much many cons to fight !

85 F/1.8
pic_002.gif

85 F/1.4
pic_002.gif

mtf.gif

mtf.gif

oh boy

Dino, you know what happens when you compare the 85 1.8 to the 1.4 don't you - here we go................................................

seriously, both lenses are pretty impressive to my eye, sometimes I like the 85 1.4 more, sometimes I like the 85 1.8, but it depends on subject matter. People tend to use the 85 1.4 more creatively and thus the images are more impressive, but is it the lens or the fact that people who own the 1.4 are more prone to try more wide-open creative style shooting ?

Just look at nute's work, his stuff looks just as good with a kit lens as a lens costing several times more - he gives credit to the lens, but i give credit to the photographer - same with Paul, is it the Zeiss or the photographer, i looked at some sub par Zeiss samples the other day from someone taking some generic test shots, so i think the photographer is more key.

I have 2! Well, one is my Sister's....
I think I would definitely have a replacement by then.....you know me..

In that case, get the CZ 85/1.4!

Seriously though, the CZ gives a different feel to the image, which I love. And the price is pretty much the same as the Nikkor.

I have both the 24-70mm and the 85mm. No way will I replace the 24-70mm with the 85mm. The zoom is really convenience at times.
It would be a mistake IMO.

In that case, get the CZ 85/1.4!

Seriously though, the CZ gives a different feel to the image, which I love. And the price is pretty much the same as the Nikkor.

Although I would love the Zeiss 85...I think that an AF lens would be the more practical decision for me at the moment.

I have both the 24-70mm and the 85mm. No way will I replace the 24-70mm with the 85mm. The zoom is really convenience at times.
It would be a mistake IMO.

I hear ya. That's why I am going to check to see which lenses and focal lengths are used the most by me to help me make a decision. :smile:

Thanks for being the voice of reason, but I can definitely notice differences in the samples that have been posted, especially with the bokeh and the low-light capabilities.

Yup, and Photozone tests aren't the be-all, end-all. Sometimes there's a tendency to over-quote them as the arbiter of what lens is great and what isn't. There's some thought that they're objective just because they can be distilled to numbers, but in reality they can be very deceiving.

That all said -- I think it would be a huge mistake to get rid of your 28-70/2.8 for the 85/1.4. If you think you have to have a portrait lens, you'd be better off with a 28-70/2.8 plus an 85/1.8, than just an 85/1.4. The 35-70/2.8 is a great lens but if you're going to shoot a wedding the 28-70/2.8 would be extremely useful.

JMHO.

Just look at nute's work, his stuff looks just as good with a kit lens as a lens costing several times more - he gives credit to the lens, but i give credit to the photographer - same with Paul, is it the Zeiss or the photographer, i looked at some sub par Zeiss samples the other day from someone taking some generic test shots, so i think the photographer is more key.

I guess in the end, IMHO the answer is that it isn't as black and white of a thing. It is a combination of both. Great photographer + great lens = great results. You're probably right in that the photographer is "more key."

Put a great lens in the hands of a novice and it probably won't produce great results. Put a mediocre lens in the hands of a great photographer, and you might get great results.

I think if you were to ask Paul if he'd give up his Zeiss's, it'd be something akin to over his dead body. If you were to ask Nute to give up his 85/1.4 for his old 85/1.8, he'd answer that he thinks his 85/1.4 "schmokes" his old 85/1.8.

Either that, or it's a confidence thing. :biggrin:

I too own both lenses. Beast first then 85.
NO WAY would I trade the Beast for an 85. For portrait/models etc. etc. the Beast just rocks! The 85, yeah amazing lens and has gotten me some superb results, but bread and butter, The BEAST!

I also owned both and used them simultaneously. The 28-70 is on my camera most of the time; it is my bread and butter lens. The 85, while spectacular, is a one trick pony so you're going to have to back W-A-Y out to get many shots. Big mistake in my opinion.

I too own both lenses. Beast first then 85.
NO WAY would I trade the Beast for an 85. For portrait/models etc. etc. the Beast just rocks! The 85, yeah amazing lens and has gotten me some superb results, but bread and butter, The BEAST!

I also owned both and used them simultaneously. The 28-70 is on my camera most of the time; it is my bread and butter lens. The 85, while spectacular, is a one trick pony so you're going to have to back W-A-Y out to get many shots. Big mistake in my opinion.

Thank you guys for posting. What you both said makes a ton of sense! After more consideration I am deciding to keep the lens....I don't know what I was even thinking! Momentary lapse of reason. I even got to the point of taking images to provide for the trade and realized how much I'd miss this beautiful lens. Thanks everyone who posted.

2672264635_e914ff26ef_b.jpg

2672265593_7e303cae7b_b.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom