Thinking of upgrading my macbook... to a PC... am I sick in the head?

I want more screen real estate then what the 15' macbook pro can offer...

Which leaves the 17' macbook pro...

But for $3000, I can get a decent PC AND CS3...

Why shouldn't I consider it as an option?

You should consider all options. But keep in mind, you're comparing apples to walnuts. A Macbook Pro is a laptop. A PC is a tower machine. At best, compare a PC to a Mac Pro.

In any event, have you considered buying just a better display to plug into a Macwhichever?

I may be interested in your 15" MacBook Pro, depending on condition. But first, be sure of what you are contemplating. I would not do it!

You should consider all options. But keep in mind, you're comparing apples to walnuts. A Macbook Pro is a laptop. A PC is a tower machine. At best, compare a PC to a Mac Pro.

In any event, have you considered buying just a better display to plug into a Macwhichever?

pc = vista laptop

relying on a external monitor would defeat the purpose of getting a laptop...

I would just get the 24' iMac instead...

i second the cinema display option. keep the mbp 15" ..it's a slick machine and highly portable. don't waste your money on upgrading to a 17" (i have one, they're equally great) , but your funds would be better spent on just a large external monitor.

What is your budget ? Why not get MacPro + non-Apple screen ? That combination shouldn't be too expensive and you should be able to stay within 3K or somewhere around 3K.

How about an iMac? You can get a dandy 24" screen all built right in and the machine is very powerful. If you're thinking desktop, why not look at the iMac?

From everything I've heard, you really don't want to get into a situation with a PC loaded with MS Vista.... I think you'd be VERY unhappy, especially after having used a Mac.

relying on a external monitor would defeat the purpose of getting a laptop...

I would just get the 24' iMac instead...

Actually, you might be surprised how well this can work. I have a 15" MacBook Pro connected at home to a 27" Samsung 275T Display most of the time with an external keyboard and mouse. This setup works fantastic and gives you the option to run with both screens on for a dual display configuration or you can close the macbook lid and run it in a clamshell mode which effectively makes it the equivalent of a desktop PC/iMac.

The advantage of this is that when you DO need your MacBook as a road warrior, unplug everything, close the lid and go. Best of both worlds and you certainly can't do that with a desktop unit. I steered away from the 17" MacBook Pro as I decided that when I did need it on the road, I was ok trading some screen size for portability but that's my preference. I also found that neither 15" or 17" screens were acceptable anyways for anything other than part time photo editing so a larger external monitor was a given for me anyhoo. YMMV of course but you might be surprised at how well this setup works. Cheers!

Real Name
Ian Moran
Don't believe everything you hear about Vista - try it. I have Vista Ultimate x64 running on a quad core, 8gb workstation and it leaves my MacBook Pro & iMAC in the dust in terms of performance - rock solid as well. Oh, and half the price of either. This has become my main photo workstation for processing RAW files in Lightroom 2 and Capture NX2.

Don't believe everything you hear about Vista - try it. I have Vista Ultimate x64 running on a quad core, 8gb workstation and it leaves my MacBook Pro & iMAC in the dust in terms of performance - rock solid as well. Oh, and half the price of either. This has become my main photo workstation for processing RAW files in Lightroom 2 and Capture NX2.

Of course a quad core with 8GB will leave a MBP or iMac in the dust..... you're not comparing like for like..... Of course it is cheaper, but with both the MBP and the iMac you are paying a premium for styling. You can also buy carefully styled PC systems for similar money.

My MacPro 8-Core with 8GB will also leave most things, including your quad core, in the dust, but this comes at a price. If you pay the big bucks, you get the big performance.

Compare a MacBookPro running Vista with a PC notebook running Vista, and you will find the MBP is a very fast machine, as is the MacBook.

I would not switch back to a PC for anything. Get the Macbook Pro plus a big Apple Cinema for when you are stationary. When on the move, settle for the 15 or 17 inch screen on the notebook

The Macbook is really the best of both worlds: you can load Windows if you change your mind. The Macbook is an excellent choice in my opinion for two reasons: DVI output and user replaceable/upgradable hard drive.

Get an S-IPS or PVA 24" monitor to go with it and you have a great setup. I just wish the Macbook didn't have that glossy screen.

I started out with a G5 iMac.....eventually moved on to the intel Macs when they became available. Right now I'm using a 17" MBP in conjunction with a 23" ACD for my everyday stuff and it works very, very well. I now have the MBA for portability so i don't need to disconnect the MBP for travel but if I did need to do so it wouldn't be a big deal. I used to do that when I had a 15" MBP hooked up to a 30" ACD (waiting for the Mac Pro). Worked a treat!

Using a MBP in conjunction with an ACD really does provide the user with the best of both worlds....

Real Name
Ian Moran
I'm simply saying that despite the amazing amount of FUD surrounding Vista it's well worth considering. I use both OSX & Vista and the latter has become my preferred platform for all things photographic, ymmv.

Latest threads

Top Bottom