Third party ink cartridges for HP printer

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by gaperklake, Jul 9, 2007.

1. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello Everyone,

Still new to everything digital (since March of this year), I ordered some ink cartridges for my HP C5180 printer from Inksmile.com, thinking (mistakenly) that they were HP cartridges. They are not, and I have not used one yet.

What are the risks of using third party ink jet inks, if any:

1. Could they clog the nozzles, or otherwise damage the printer;
    2. Void the warranty;
    3. Significantly change the way the printer profile applies ink (I have a printer profile specific to this printer from Cathy's Profiles - she's great);
    4. Other horrible consequences?

Thank you so much for your advice... as always,

Guy

2. I would fear #3 more than anything else.

3. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello Dave,

Thank you for the response.

I hope you are right about 1, 2 and 4, by default... and wrong about 3 - but you are probably right. Except for you, I haven't received any responses, so I may not use the cartridges at all.

A fine word - 'fear'.

Guy

4. 2 & 3 for me. I also use Kathy's profiles and agree she (they?) does/do good work. However the profile is for the printer/paper/ink combination. If the profile is for genuine HP ink and you switch the profile is likely no longer valid. I have heard of two instances where Epson, for example, declined to repair a printer because non-Epson ink was used.

Better would be to get HP ink from Altex.com, a VERY reasonably priced place. Epson 1280 ink color costs $29.95 at Micro Center in Northern Virginia and approximately $23.80 at ATLEX.

Thanks, Rich

5. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Thank you, Rich, for your response... and information. It was very helpful. I think I will donate these cartridges to recycling.

Guy

6. vadimg

vadimg

May 23, 2007
    ny, ny
    There is no problem with using them, but I would really suggest recalibrating your printer with some sort of profiling system to get accurate color from the new inks.

7. Sorry, I don't agree at all. It's all fun and games until a printer clogs up and then you're in deep kimchee.

Rich

8. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Thank you Vadimg and Rich... for your responses.

I posted this question/concern in Nikonians and didn't receive one response. When I look at result that 'globally', it makes me think using these cartridges is not such a good idea - that is, no one wants the risk of well intended advise going badly.

Guy

9. I suppose it depends on what you consider "horrible", but I'd read here:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

to see just how shockingly short some of these 3rd party inks last. :Shocked: I have some personal experience with one of my old Epsons and cheap ink. The ink is just fine except for a REALLY short life span before fading away. No other problems. I even get the feeling the cheap ink clogs less then genuine Epson ink.

However, I would NEVER sell something printed with non-factory ink unless the ink was tested by someplace like Wilhelm.:Unsure:

10. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello Bob,

Thank you for your response and information. I haven't tried the inks I bought yet, and probably won't. I couldn't find anything about them at Wilhelm, which seems another confirmation for discarding them.

Thanks again,

Guy