This amazing forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terri French, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    As a lot of you know, I am awaiting the birth of a new grandchild any day now. I recently was interested in purchasing a fast prime lens or two to use in photographing the baby. An extremely kind forum member knew of my search and sent me three lenses, 35 f2, 50 f1.4, and 85 f1.4, to experiment with. He was not interested in selling me those lenses; he just was being kind. It was a great gift to me and helped me decide on purchasing a 35 f2 and 85 f1.4 of my own.

Then a couple of weeks ago, my camera body started having autofocus problems. I immediately sent it off for repair, nervous that the repair wouldn't be done in time for the birth of the baby.

I bet I had at least 10 members of the cafe offer to send me their cameras to use until mine came back. I ended up purchasing a used D300 and that member sent it to me very quickly. I didn't borrow any of the cameras, but the kindness of the offers meant so much to me.

I am not going to list any names here because I know that these people do not want accolades or recognition for their kindnesses. But I want you to know that we have many angels here among us.

Thank you for letting me be a part of this wonderful group. Now my D200 is back and the new D300 is wonderful. Hopefully my photos of the new arrival will be up to all the drama that I created here.:Love::biggrin::eek::smile::Love:

2. That I what makes this such a nice place Terri. My D2X failed just before a trip to Europe and a kind member loaned me his. Saved me a ton of worry. Gretchen (Boston Rott) had the same thing happen and another member came to her aid. I've received loaners of lenses I was considering buying from a fellow Cafe member for evaluation. When I retired from Customs I wondered how I would get along without my circle of friends but the Cafe has more than filled that void.

3. Great story... thanks for sharing! :smile:

4. Terri,

I couldn't agree more!!!

As Rich said, just before I was due to head to London, my D70 was having real metering issues. It was still out for repair in Melville, and someone whom I had only just "met" (on the forum) sent me up a D200 without a hesitation. I was so humbled!!!

I've had QR plates loaned to me, gorgeous HUGE prints made for me (of some of my Emilie shots), and currently, there is a fun 180/2.8 attached to my camera....again, something that a kind soul here offered to let me borrow. (This lens is so TINY compared to the 80-200, it's just adorable!!!).

I have found that many here demonstrate true philanthropy.....they selflessly help those around them without a second thought. This has been very heart-warming, and humbling, to me. :smile:

Thank you to all!!!

5. Great story Terri. I love the generosity of the members here as well.

6. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Yes, this really does feel like home.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Terri,

you should know, good things do sometimes happen to good people because they are good. You are a great person.

all the best,

Wade

8. Thanks for sharing your story Terri (and others). There are a lot of super folks here on the Cafe.

9. there really is no better forum on earth
    each day i become even more proud to be a member

thanks for your thread, terri

10. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    great story. It just confirms my feelings about this community

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Truer words have never been spoken!

We love you, Terri!

12. This place is really great. It is wonderful how a bunch of genuinely nice people have congregated on the internet through their common interest in photography.

Amazing to me how I feel a kinship with so many people here even though I've only met a handful in person. I hope to one day meet many of you face to face.

Great post, Terri!! You've certainly helped me out here. Wade is right, good things do sometimes happen to good people because they are good.

13. Well Terri, I agree with you 100%.......Just today a cafe member offered to buy something and send it to me since I could't find it here.
    I was very impressed by her generosity....
    If ever she needs something I will be sure to try and help her out or any Cafe member as far as that goes.

14. What goes around comes around.I believe some Angels Helped a fellow Angel.Don't cut yourself short Terri.

15. Uhhh, I need a D3 if anyone has one laying around:wink:

I guess I'm not surprised with your story Terri, we really do have a great group of people here.

16. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    yep, this place is definitely unique and special

17. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Terri,
    This is so true. You are one of those people. You answered all my questions several years a ago about your Apple monitor and helped me make a decision to purchase. This is truly a special place!
    Tom

18. If I may add...
    I had a lens listed on the for sale forum...
    I listed the lens as pending, and today a member who
    wanted to list their same lens wrote me to make certain my lens
    had sold before he listed his lens...his concern means a lot!

It is very special when people care about one another...

19. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Amazing - great to see / hear people behaving the way we should.

20. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Wow!

Sounds like I should have started hanging around here a long time ago! :smile: