"This close" to purchasing my Gitzo! :)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by BostonRott, May 2, 2007.

1. I had said that if my dog show shoot went well ($), that I'd be purchasing my Gitzo tripod. Well, it did. I've got a great price from a local store, which also gives me a discount for my NANPA membership. Turns out, the rep is coming to our camera club meeting tomorrow night, so I don't even have to make the hour drive. YAY! Now, if only I can get ahold of him. :smile:

Next on the list, RRS BH-40.

:smile:

2. Good going Gretchen! The Gitzo's are great - which one are you getting?

3. wow, way to go!!

4. The 2530 will be well suited for me. I don't own any big guns and don't anticipate doing so any time soon. Thus, the BH-40 and 2530 should meet my needs nicely. :smile:

5. Congrats! I just bought a used one and I am still staring at it. Just beautiful...

6. Thanks Anthony!

We've got two close-by Great Blue Heron rookeries (that are active) and I hope to get out and shoot them with a nice steady tripod! :smile:

7. Sure!

:rolleyes:

8. O yes, believe it! I'm quite sure I own no big lenses right now!! :tongue:

9. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Gretchen,

Back in February we talked in a thread I started about tripods and heads. I just got the 2530 Monday and the BH-40 LR II in Tuesday.

It is a beautiful sight. You will love it. I am impressed with the quality and build of both.

10. Carman,

I remember that! :smile: Very glad to hear that you put your set together and that you enjoy it. Now get out there and shoot and share the photos!!!

11. Cool, Gretchen. You'll enjoy your Gitzo. :smile:

12. Got ahold of the rep.....he's out of stock, but has offered to take my order tonight at the camera club and then give me free shipping. YAY!!! :biggrin:

13. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I think you'll be pleased with the 2530. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and it's worked well for me. The leg hinges at the head are still a little stiff but the leg locks work smoothly. I like the anti-rotation on the legs.

One thing I have noticed is that you have to really crank down on the column lock when extending or retracting the column. I noticed a couple of times that the head was a little "wiggly" but the column lock proved to be the problem. Hopefully, that'll turn out to be a break-in thing too.

I put the A-S Z1 head on mine and I'm very happy with it. Moves very smoothly and holds well after you get it adjusted. I set mine up using the 17-35/2.8 for the base adjustment and only have to do a little tightening when I go to the 28-70/2.8 or the 70-300 VR.

Hope you get yours soon!

Bill

14. Thank you Bill, that is wonderful information to have! :smile:

Mine is now ordered, the shop was out of them, I didn't think to ask a delivery estimation, but I'm hoping "in the next few week." :biggrin:

15. Calumet Photo has them in stock. I just bought a GT2530 from them this past weekend.

16. I ordered mine from a rep up at Hunt's. I'm hoping it will be here any day, as my ballhead just arrived from Kirk! :smile: