This Cormorant won't go hungry....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, May 4, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Terry and I were driving along Shearwater at Bombay Hook NWR when we saw six cormorants stationed in the waterway outside the impoundment. Water - and fish - were flowing out from Shearness through a water control station (or whatever you call those things), and the Cormorants stayed there all afternoon. Free lunch and dinner. This guy caught the biggest fish while we were watching - maybe 20-30 minutes.

original.

I was interested in one photographer who was parked at the site when we got there and left when we left Bombay Hook about five hours later. (We were driving around the BH road loops during this time.) He had quite a set-up. All the windows on the Shearness - and sunny - side were covered with cardboard. The window he was shooting through was covered with insect screening with a hole exactly the size of his lens. Needless to say, he needed a big hole. I suspect he got some great shots. I have not yet learned how to be this patient.

Gordon

2. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    5 HOURS? surely you have more than just this one? I'd say you were plenty patient waiting 5 hours. nice shot! lets see some more

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Greg -

I've got about 500 shots! Sometimes I wonder whether the fact that you have no film cost with digital makes you stop thinking and just start firing away. I'll post some more, but I've only had time to post two of my favorites. My problem now is broken PBase links here and on other sites. PBase is a great resource, but sometimes they drive me crazy!

Gordon

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice catch Gordon. I promise that you won't have to wait 5 hours when we get to Merritt. 8)

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi again Greg -

Just to be clear, I wasn't the photographer who spent five hours shooting the same six cormorants. My wife and I spent the time going around and around the road loops at Bombay Hook looking for different opportunities. There weren't a lot of birds, but there were a lot of species, making for good photo ops.

As I opened this thread again the link to PBase was working again. And I hadn't done a thing to fix it! The mysteries of life....

Gordon

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

I've heard there isn't any wait at all at Merritt! I'm looking forward to the trip - it's going to be fun.

Now the %&^#%*)( link from PBase is broken again. Arghh. I'm going to let things settle down until tomorrow before I repost.

Gordon

7. Nice capture Gordon!! :D :D

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Frank -

I just realized that you (and others) got the idea from my original post that I stayed in one spot for five hours. Terry and I were there for about 20-30 minutes and spent the rest of the time driving around the road loops at BH. I'm not patient enough to wait for five hours in one place!

Gordon