1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

This guys doesn't like the use of bird feeders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris_B, May 22, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    http://ke4fej1.tripod.com/id26.html

My neighbor emailed this to me. He want's me to take down my bird feeder.

From the website:

"Dear ... friends,

I do not want to get into the legal aspects of this or try to convince anyone that you should not feed seeds to birds as I know full well that most people enjoy this past time and the joy that it bring to ones life. It is still a free country in my opinion and you have every right to do what you please as long as it doesnt hurt anyone or anything. However, there is a responsibility that goes with using bird seed feeders and Ill try an illuminate that commitment as best I can.

The big reason that I do not feed seeds (or grains) to birds is the rodents that will be attracted to the spills below the feeders. "

2. That's funny. We get squirrels here all the time regardless of whether the birdfeeder is full (it definitely isn't in the winter and there's tons of squirrels) or empty.

I guess you shouldn't have a garden either since animals get attracted to that as well?

Or maybe you shouldn't park your car outside in the winter since some animals might try to hide underneath it for warmth?

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    That is what I am wondering. Squirrels and chipmunks all eat the dropped seeds and seem to do a good job of cleaning up. Both of them have the same issues as rats wrt flees and disease so what is the difference? While I don't want rats running through my backyard, I am not entirely convinced that I should consider them worse than squirrels.

FWIW, I use no-mess bird feed that have no hulls and in theory, leaves less on the ground.

4. Chris, thanks for posting this article. I recently purchased my first bird feeder and a shepherd's hook with a brace attached to install it on my deck rail. I thought it would be nice to watch the birds feed from my front porch or even on the deck if they get used to us. I also bought sunflower seeds in the shell. I guess that is where the mess comes in. Next time I will be the shell-free variety.

5. I guess squirrels/chipmunks are cuter and more accepted than rats?

I definitely haven't seen any rats around here. Mind you, the ravens we have would probably take care of them, they are huge!

I do agree with cleaning up afterwards though.

6. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    I have spent well over $1,000.00 on seed, feeders, homes for the birds this Spring. I have fed a few rats along the way. I have a small hav-a-hart trap. I also have a pet ball python that my dad gave me years ago, problem solved. I place some feeders so that the tree rats can get to them (it keeps the weiner dog happy). My big feeder 4x4 is on a 10" pvc post so that is a no go for the tree rats and coons, it gets the high dollar feed. When I buy feed its 200 pluss pounds at a time. I think the critters like it around here.

7. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    By his reasoning....I should cut down my walnut trees, too, they draw squirrels and other rodents? LOL!

8. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Now I know why this guy came to stay with us a couple years back. He prefers rodents to birds, much to my dismay (I love birds, don't take that wrong). I once came home to a live and bleeding pocket gopher in the bathroom. Thankfully, due to the broken canine, he "mis-fires" once in awhile and I have saved a few of his intendeds.

119963548_294eda7597.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now if he could just take on the coons...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.