This is how durable your DLSRs really are.

It pains me to see him do this to a D70, but it's a valid test.

I myself have abused my camera on occasion. The worst was when I slipped on a wet rock, and broke my fall with the camera. That was 3 years ago, and it still works.

Durability Test 1 - The torture

Durabiltiy Test 2 - The conclusion - with image test

He's the Jeremy Clarkson of Photography world.

Part of a conversation I had once concerning a (non Nikon) camera that had suffered water damage. As it turned out, it was due to an o-ring having been damaged during assembly. An obvious manufacturing defect.

"It's still under warranty."

"Intentional damage isn't covered under warranty, sir."

"It wasn't intentional."

"You used the camera, sir. Usage is intentional."

:eek:

It pains me to see him do this to a D70, but it's a valid test. (...) He's the Jeremy Clarkson of Photography world.

Valid? Hammering nails into wood with the lens is a "valid" test for an SLR? :smile:

I do have to say that I was impressed by what these "flimsy consumer grade" cameras managed to survive though.

And yes, Kay is the Jeremy Clarkson of the camera world. Although I suspect that under that varnish of goofiness there's actually somebody hidden who knows quite a lot about photography.

It's valid if you want to see whether or not a DSLR makes for a useable hammer. :wink:

With the exception of taping bodies to the soles of my feet or (intentionally) setting a camera on fire I've done just about all of those things at one time or another. :redface:

Valid? Hammering nails into wood with the lens is a "valid" test for an SLR? :smile:

I do have to say that I was impressed by what these "flimsy consumer grade" cameras managed to survive though.

And yes, Kay is the Jeremy Clarkson of the camera world. Although I suspect that under that varnish of goofiness there's actually somebody hidden who knows quite a lot about photography.

Valid as in the sort of abuse or impact can be translated into something else. Say, if I drop my lens, or have a piece of rock thrown at it, or fall on it, etc.

I'm absolutely hooked on DigitalRevTV. It's like watching Top Gear for Photography. I haven't laughed this much in a while. I've looked at his 'sample' test shots too. For something he randomly takes on a lens or camera test, they're very nice photos. I'm really liking his street photo style.

DigitalRev TV Channel

Setting up pre-wedding photo shoot via evilBay

Lavish review of two 70-200 f2.8

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Carl
LOL! "If it's broke, fix it! If it ain't broke, give it here for a minute!" :biggrin: Great videos. Inscrutable Oriental, indeed!

HE is the guy that painted his camera that bright color, isn't he? (Day-Glo purple? Puce?? Raspberry Frost?) I hear they are going to hold a contest to name the color next month.

Exit, giggling.

Again anothe nice vid by Kai. He really shows that they will take more abuse than many believe they will. Too many people absolutely worry about the slightest bump without merit. My D300 has had a good amount of abuse and is still ticking.

Again anothe nice vid by Kai. He really shows that they will take more abuse than many believe they will. Too many people absolutely worry about the slightest bump without merit. My D300 has had a good amount of abuse and is still ticking.

Somewhat hilarious that so many people spend countless hours picking a bag or a holster instead of just going out shooting. :wink:

I walk around with my DSLR strapless in one hand, or on my R-Strap (if heavy lens), or SpiderPro (if I need my hands for something else). The bag stays in the car. And until recently, it was my random Fossil messenger bag with no padding. It's invited many such comments as "You're insane... what if you drop it?" from my photog friends.

Latest threads

Top Bottom