This is not good news for Canon

It's especially not good news for Canon's employees. It's very bad that employees are forced by law to turn their Social Security number over to employers and then those employers don't provide the necessary safeguards to protect that data from theft.
Yes,
Many companies have not prioritised Cybersecurity as a top priority.
Several high profile cases here in the UK of hospitals, football clubs being shut down by ransomware.
Hospitals being attacked!
Makes my blood boil.

I think operating systems and applications have become so complicated, and are updated so frequently, that there are bound to be incidents like this no matter the precautions. Major corporations with large IT departments get hacked. Imagine how vulnerable a small accountant or doctor office is. I've been offered a one year subscription to a credit bureau's monitoring service for other incidents but have never taken up the offer - I don't trust them either.

Best policy is to use two factor authentication where available, check your statements and have email or text notification of bank withdrawals and credit card payments.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I think operating systems and applications have become so complicated, and are updated so frequently, that there are bound to be incidents like this no matter the precautions. Major corporations with large IT departments get hacked. Imagine how vulnerable a small accountant or doctor office is. I've been offered a one year subscription to a credit bureau's monitoring service for other incidents but have never taken up the offer - I don't trust them either.

Best policy is to use two factor authentication where available, check your statements and have email or text notification of bank withdrawals and credit card payments.
The vast majority of these attacks are initiated through social engineering. They spam emails to employees and get someone to click a link. These are very sophisticated, directed emails that look very official. The attackers craft them to look like corporate internal emails when they are not. This gets the user to trust it and open / click it. It delivers a payload that then wonders around the internal networks looking for holes and sending info back to a command center that directs it further. Through this command center the attacker evaluates what the bot has learned and directs it where else to go. The intent is to find IT and personnel administrators that have more privileged access than the average corporate employee. The goal is to get to private employee information such as that listed in the Canon leak - socials, bank deposit info, drivers license info, etc. They are determined to steal identities and conduct transactions to collect money. It isn't just about money. They are also motivated by the thrill of the chase.

I work in enterprise IT. We spend an inordinate amount of time protecting our networks and servers from just such adversaries. Our incident response team spends most of their days educating non-technical administrative staff and responding to incidents where someone has an infected machine. These criminals are ruthless, selfish, despicable. If they invested as much energy into a real job as they do in their own criminal enterprises they could be wealthy beyond imagination. The thrill of the chase is what motivates them. It isn't just about the money. It is the excitement of what they accomplished - breaching security, holding some company's data for ransom, etc.

Major corporations with large IT departments get hacked. Imagine how vulnerable a small accountant or doctor office is.
I've always wondered if we're not safer doing business as much as possible with the small companies. That's because their smaller amounts of data offer less profit potential to the bad guys wanting to steal the data or distribute ransomware. I really don't know if that's a factor, but it seems logical that it could be.

Last edited:
I don't know about any of you but I received my Social Security Card in the 60's.
At the bottom of the card underneath my signature it reads:
"Not for Identification. For Social Security And Tax Purposes Only"
I am very cautious about who I give that number to.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I don't know about any of you but I received my Social Security Card in the 60's.
At the bottom of the card underneath my signature it reads:
"Not for Identification. For Social Security And Tax Purposes Only"
I am very cautious about who I give that number to.
This is the reason we don't have a National ID in the USA.

It's appalling that doctor and dentist offices still ask for Social Security numbers. Don't give it to them. If you have already given it to them, insist that they remove it from their database. Then check back a few months later to determine if it has really been removed.
The Dentists and Doctors in my area no longer ask for it on their new patient forms.
Medicare has even changed their ID cards to no longer display the SSN.

This is the reason we don't have a National ID in the USA.
There are times when you must furnish more than one form of identification.
I use my credit card size passport card.
It also comes in handy when I visit companies that I must be able to prove I am a US citizen before gaining entry..
It's only good for travel to Canada and Mexico but for the $5 extra they charge for it, it's a great second form of ID.

I've always wondered if we're not safer doing business as much as possible with the small companies. That's because their smaller amounts of data offer less profit potential to the bad guys wanting to steal the data or distribute ransomware. I really don't know if that's a factor, but it seems logical that it could be.
I think you are right. Small businesses are more vulnerable to disgruntled employee or customer.
Not worth the risk/reward.

Such a good idea! I just now asked my wife if we have those cards and we do. I assume you're referring to the Global Entry card.
I think the Global Entry Card is something different but I think it could probably be used as a second ID. It is also recognized as a replacement for the "real ID" that states are now issuing and it will soon be mandatory for flight. I haven't updated my drivers license to a real ID yet due to the long wait times at the DMV. The passport card can be purchased for a $5 fee when you renew your passport. The card is only good for travel to Canada, Mexico and ship travel as well as a second ID. It cannot be used for foreign flight travel which I think is where the Global Entry Card comes in to play. It comes with a protective sleeve and nicely fits in my wallet. Here is what it looks like.

Passport Card Front.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I remember hearing something about a Passport Card, but at the time I last renewed my passport I didn't go with that. I think I will on the next occasion, which I think is in 2022..... That card could be very useful indeed, along with the standard passport book. I also need to update my driver's license to the Real ID thingy, but haven't done that yet.

I remember hearing something about a Passport Card, but at the time I last renewed my passport I didn't go with that. I think I will on the next occasion, which I think is in 2022..... That card could be very useful indeed, along with the standard passport book. I also need to update my driver's license to the Real ID thingy, but haven't done that yet.
Connie,
When you decide to get the Real ID added to your drivers license make sure you call your DMV first and see what they require. I was going to get mine when my current license expired last year. They wanted a lot more information than what I brought with me. I had my passport which I thought would have been sufficient but they wanted birth certificate, utility bill and a bank statement. I figured I would get it the next time as my passport card is as good as a real id for air travel.

Thank you, Dave! I think the DMV here in Virginia has a listing on their website of exactly what they require the driver bring with them to get the "Real ID"..... I'll have to check on that before I do anything about that. My birth certificate and passport are both in my bank safe deposit box so I would need to retrieve those prior to going to the DMV anyway.

Thank you, Dave! I think the DMV here in Virginia has a listing on their website of exactly what they require the driver bring with them to get the "Real ID"..... I'll have to check on that before I do anything about that. My birth certificate and passport are both in my bank safe deposit box so I would need to retrieve those prior to going to the DMV anyway.
After posting I decided to go on my state's DMV site and checked the requirements.
They have indeed changed.
Looks like now my passport or passport card would be sufficient.
It might have also been since the DMV office I went to was in San Diego, very close to the border.
Maybe their requirements could be different but that location had the earliest appointment time available which is why I made it there.
I always make sure I take my passport or passport card with me when in San Diego. There are many confusing freeway exits where before you know it you have entered Mexico. And now a drivers license is not enough to get back in to the US. Must have your passport.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom