THIS is what you get from a CVS 1 hr developing

I was curious why my last batch of negatives came out so horrible. SO I took a few test shots on a old roll of Kodak 200.

All I had developed was negatives for $2.00
I was there when the girl took the negs out of the machine. I even when as far as asking her to wear white gloves, and not touch the negatives in any way, besides the sides.

This is one of the better ones:

test.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Or perhaps THIS:

lot.gif

Man, that's really bad. Filth doesn't even begin to describe it. Here's a frame from a roll developed at my local CVS (my scan).
5507687481_6b2d6ed498_o.jpg

Anthony, you likely ****** her off about the white gloves.:biggrin:

My neighborhood CVS started out being a great place, but slowly and surely
went downhill from there. A little longer drive, but there is one Walgreens where
I get consistent results, from one lady who does the processing. I don't leave
the film off if she's not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like their scanner does not have ICE. That is kind of how my negatives look without it.

That work is unacceptable. Unfortunately, so many places have incompetent people running the machines. My local CVS store has two people who know what they are doing. :smile:

I suggest you try another CVS location. I use them for all of my c-41 developing. I get the scans, as well. For the most part, it is fine. I occasionally get some crap, but you live with it for a total of $5 a roll. You cannot expect amazing quality from these types of places. If you want better, pay for it or do it yourself.

Real Name
Chris
White gloves are for handling prints - they are a big no-no for handling freshly processed negatives, as they tend to leave lint all over the film. (Lint-less cotton gloves aren't, and even if they were lintless at one time, they pick it up when they are not returned to their bag right after use.) They SHOULD be used when handling fine prints and mat-board though. In those cases fingerprints are more destructive than lint.

White gloves are for handling prints - they are a big no-no for handling freshly processed negatives, as they tend to leave lint all over the film. (Lint-less cotton gloves aren't, and even if they were lintless at one time, they pick it up when they are not returned to their bag right after use.) They SHOULD be used when handling fine prints and mat-board though. In those cases fingerprints are more destructive than lint.

That's right up there with my using cotton balls to dob off water drops from
hanging negatives. Worked a treat....NOT.

Real Name
Chris
Ha, that's not so bad - I've been known to squeegee with a washcloth! :eek: That was before i learned the technique of dropping the wet negs on the floor, and then stepping them in an attempt to retrieve them quickly (before anyone saw what I did.)

Thanks for informing me.
I didn't know that.

I suggest you try another CVS location. I use them for all of my c-41 developing. I get the scans, as well. For the most part, it is fine. I occasionally get some crap, but you live with it for a total of $5 a roll. You cannot expect amazing quality from these types of places. If you want better, pay for it or do it yourself.

I've tried both local CVS locations. The first one, I actually had prints made (for the heck of it).
When I opened them up, each print had an orange line right across the middle..The negatives didn't have this, and the "tech" claimed it was the scanner.
The negatives were grossly stained too.

So CVS is now out of the question.

I have a Target nearby, a Walgreens.

I am not competent enough to do my own C-41 negatives, so that's out of the question.

This line?
5416492687_ea9866734c_b.jpg

It only happens every 15 or so rolls, but ymmv. For me, CVS is the only option. I just live with it.

Wow, those are ridiculous. I'd be asking for my money back at the very least.

Makes me wish developing C41 at home was more economical.

Well, after spending 2 weeks, trying to make "digital" from analog, I've decided that I simply don't have the skill to do this.
I found it very frustrating, and costly.

I've decided to keep the F100, I still have a nice 24-85 to throw on there, and a few primes.

I'll shoot the occasional roll of color or BW, and have them professionally done.
The cost of a quality scanner would be the same as developing quite a few rolls.

I would like like to thank all of you for taking the time to explain the various methods associated with film scanning, and for posting your personal terrific results.

To be honest, you are giving up far too easily. And, for reasons I can't understand.

"I've decided that I simply don't have the skill to do this."

What skill? Choosing a proper exposure? That is all the skill you need to shoot film with great results. I shoot film because it makes things easy for me. Hearing that things are so difficult for you boggles my mind. I highly suggest using another CVS or Walgreens or any local lab in your area. One of these places will give accurate scans, albeit the quality may not be up to your digital standards.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom