THIS isn't gonna be a regular Adobe vs sRGB question!

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Sanyika, May 21, 2007.

1. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    Hi Guys!

Need some help. I'am a bit confused, i try to explain why:
    I get my images printed on a FUJI 340, wich "sees" sRGB colorspace, so I send everything in sRGB to the lab. No problem I understand that.
    But! In a Nikon DSLR, you can choose:
    sRGB mode I
    sRGB mode III
    Adobe mode I
    Adobe mode II
    Adobe mode III
    I shoot RAW.
    So: I set my body to do me Adobe mode II RAWs, I know RAW does not have a colorspace anyway, but these are my settings.
    When I open a RAW in Capture NX (which produces best colors from RAWs i think), I can select some new for my output:
    sRGB colorspace, mode II color setting. What am I doing thisway? hm. strange isn't it?
    I mostly like neutral colors, so I prefer mode II. Mode I is a bit magenta for me (nevertheless good for skin tones), Mode III is toosaturated in my opinon, and most of the time gives funny(ugly?) green tones+WAYtoosaturated reds.
    (if someone like the mode III, better shooting with -0,3EV imho(to protect the red channel!))
    Which method would be better:
    Select NikonWIDEAdobe colorspace for my output TIF files in capture NX, and later in CS2, after all my PP, change it to srgb? Do I lose something thisway?
    OR
    Select sRGB + mode II fo my TIF output in NX? I don't know how this will workout, I haven't sent anything for labwork lately, so wanted to know your opinion before.

Many thanks for your posts in advance!

2. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    NOONE seems to help me.... :(((((((

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Its been a long time since I used NX.

Camera mode, ie sRGB II, can be selected, and when you save the file you can choose what color space to assign it?

Your printer is assuming that the files are standard sRGB color space which is different than the color modes in your camera.

4. Capture NX is being too helpful

Capture NX is one of the few RAW processors that can read and that actually honors the in-camera settings in RAW mode. If you have your D200 set to sRGB II, I think NX respects this choice when choosing a color workspace.

I'm out of town on business this week and away from my system that has NX installed or I would try it myself.

5. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Are you guys sure there is sRGB II? isn't it aRGB mode II?

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I think you can choose sRGB II in NX, not the camera. Not sure since its been so long. Switched to a Mac Pro and never loaded NX again.

7. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    I'll answer this one.

Nikon's nomenclature is very confusing, because it combines in one name 2 concepts:
    - the workspace (which Nikon refers to as the "color space")
    - a slightly different "look" (Nikon calls it the "color mode"), which comes from a slightly different way of doing the raw conversion (TRC), just like there is velvia, reala, portra, etc for film.

When you select RGB I, II, or III, the pic is mapped to the sRGB workspace (there aren't 3 of them!), but the TRC changes, and gives a slightly different picture. You should choose the one you like best, and one that works best for one pic may not be the one you prefer for another.

On the D200 and higher cameras, you have full selection of the "color mode" independently of the "color space" (except that there is no sRGB II). On cheaper cameras the choices are limited.

Thierry

8. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    sRGB mode II is ONLY in NX. D200 doesn't let me this setting, that is why I askd the whole thing. I don't know if I'am screw up my colors when choose sRGB mode II in NX. On this weekend I'am gonna try this in my lab... Thats the only way to make sure... Anyway I started to change my mind over this whole color managment thing:) I think I'll use sRGB incamera, inNX, in Photoshop, and of course my LAB uses sRGB too. This is gonna be the most simplyest way for my PP. I don't think I win anything if I use aRGB in all my PP, and then finally convert it to sRGB before LAB.

9. Wow! Phenominal explanation. Very, very helpful! Thanks.