This little 28-200G, mounted to my D70 is gonna do fine

I think this little 28-200G, mounted to my D70 is gonna do just fine while on vaca with my teenagers in Tampa in April. Busch Gardens and all that. I'll still bring along a small prime or two just in case I need something of supreme detail, but I'm quite satisfied with it's performance for typical vacation shots. I want to travel light this time, and carrying this little 2 1/2in lens mounted on my D70 around my neck is gonna be sweet. I would put a 60 Micro in a fanny pack "just in case". So here's a few test pics I took today with a variety of f-stops a zoom levels.

39905436.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Model NIKON D70
Flash Used No
Focal Length 28 mm
Exposure Time 1/1000 sec
Aperture f/6.3
39905437.jpg

Model NIKON D70
Flash Used No
Focal Length 28 mm
Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
Aperture f/6.3
39905439.jpg

Make Nikon
Model NIKON D70
Flash Used No
Focal Length 200 mm
Exposure Time 1/2500 sec
Aperture f/5.6
39905440.jpg

Make Nikon
Model NIKON D70
Flash Used No
Focal Length 58 mm
Exposure Time 1/160 sec
Aperture f/10
39905442.jpg

Make Nikon
Model NIKON D70
Flash Used No
Focal Length 200 mm
Exposure Time 1/125 sec
Aperture f/10

Thanks Larry,

You see, last yr, I took the "big rig" to the zoo and other similar places, and it got VERY heavy and tiring to carry after a while. If the light's pretty good, as it should be in Fla, then this little gem should perform admirably. Heck, I'm even thinking of occasionally taking the Canon S400 (blasphemy!) along for traveling *really* light at certain times. After all, it's a vacation with my two teenage sons, not a dang photo expedition! This I also learned last yr ;)

Hi Steve,
Really like how your little 28-200G performs. The pictures are good and know you'll do fine with it in Tampa. Good idea to not lug around heavy equipment.

I just sold my 28-200 to Janet.... Maybe I made a mistake is my feeling after seeing your shots......

I could have used it last weekend at the Naples Zoo. I ended up using my 70-200VR throughout the whole zoo and most of the shots were at 200...But I did find that many shots were not in the sun because some places and animal spaces are heavily shaded. But I think Busch Gardens is more open, as I recall.

By the way you'll definitely have lots of sun in April in Florida. We're having lovely days right now.

Gaye

Dust bunnies

Might want to take some cleaning gear along, Steve. I have noticed every time I put a lens on my D70 that extends and retracts and use it for any amount of time, I end up with a buttload of dust bunnies. Might just be coincidence but it has happened 4 different times, now. I never see any dust when using my 70-200 or 17-55 (even though it does move in/out slightly) but some others seem to act like dust pumps. ((shrug))

Phil

Thanks Gale & Phil,

Since these are just going to be holiday snaps, and nothing more, I don't mind raisng the ISO as necessary to keep the shutter speed plenty high. I'm just trying to decide if I even want to bother packing my 70-200VR + my TC 1.4, or just leave them at home. I remember out spring break vacation last yr there was little need for big heavy glass.
And Phil, thnx for that tip, I will be sure to pack my Eclipse & Pec Pads!

gho

Hey, those are outstanding. 28-200, huh? How does it compare to the 24-120VR? My 24-120VR gets minimal usage, but I love the range. I'd love to use it for "snaps" but I try to eek the most out of my DSLRs.

For true "snaps" I use my T1 or maybe I'll start using my daughter's camera.

Hey Steve, excellent images and fun to look at. That lens should do you well for vacation shooting. I too have got to decide which lens or lenses to take to Italy with me when I go. The one I am pretty sure I will leave home is my 300mm f2.8 bazooka. The weight would kill me off.

Re: Thanks Larry,

Steve S said:
You see, last yr, I took the "big rig" to the zoo and other similar places, and it got VERY
heavy and tiring to carry after a while. If the light's pretty good, as it should be in Fla, then this little gem
should perform admirably.

Too bad you sold your 5700, because it, too, delivers outstanding results in good light... maybe even superior
to the d70/28-200. In both cases, the biggest sacrifice is selective focus, but for vacation snaps, convenience
is much more important.

Heck, I'm even thinking of occasionally taking the Canon S400 (blasphemy!) along for traveling
*really* light at certain times.

Let's not get carried away.

Hi Gordon,
Hope you let us know what you decide to take to Italy. Traveling with camera and lenses is a big decision--which to take??...but making it easy and convenient (and light) is the answer :D

Steve, the 28-200 sure looks good as an option. It's such a small lens too.

I really like the range of the 24-120 and the VR makes it special for me and my use. I can hand it to anyone (including grandkids) and they take good pictures with it without knowing anything.

The one I will never let go is the 45P. That's such a tiny one that it's like a lens cap on the camera body. I take that everywhere.

Have fun!

Gaye

Latest threads

Top Bottom