This mornings BYB session - is this a cardinal?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chris_B, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    It was a nice morning so I headed out with coffee in hand for a few minutes of shooting. I recently moved the feeder to take advantage of the morning light. I think that I got some nice shots and it was a nice relaxing way to spend part of the morning. Comments welcome.

Is this a female cardinal? I thought that juveniles have dark beaks but this one doesn't look like a female adult.

View attachment 102263

Male House Finch. I liked this pose.
    View attachment 102264

Female House Finch.
    View attachment 102265

Black-capped Chickadee. I've been trying to get a good shots of these so this was nice for me.
    View attachment 102266

Male and Female House Sparrows
    View attachment 102267

View attachment 102268
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  2. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Think it is a juvie. That is what the ones here look like.

Very pretty images
  3. some pretty darn nice work Chris
  4. Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Gale and Dave. All the shots were with the 300VR & 1.7TC on a tripod and all but one wide open f/4.8. I had the ISO at 320 and shutter speeds were between 1/160 to 1/500.

The thing that confused me on the cardinal was the beak. I though juveniles had dark beaks.
  5. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Very very nice images Chris! And that is a juvie for sure and a pretty one at that.
  6. Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Andy.
  7. Good catch Chris All my chickadees have up and left for a while now. I wonder where they go must be south I guess.
  8. Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Lou. We will keep the chickadees well fed for you until they return :biggrin:.
  9. mdupont

Jun 12, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Very nice pictures. We have a juvinile cardnal in our back yard also. I watched as it tried to land on the back of my canoe and slid across and plopped on the ground.