This new sub-forum is welcome.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Dave Rosser, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Nice to see a sub-forum dedicated to those of us still using older Nikon DSLRs but am I the only one left using a D1H? :frown:

2. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I'm using D1 :)

3. Artorius

Artorius

May 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    D1x/h

I am using both the D1x&h. No reason for me to upgrade.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Nope. I still use a D1 modified for IR, plus a D1H for UV work. Occasionally I put the old D1X to service when I need GPS recording of a project. However, after having compared my D1X against my first D2X, I purchased yet another D2X :biggrin:

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Bjørn, have you looked at the possibility of deleting colour filter aray from D1? Or should I get old b/w Kodak instead?

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The filter pack in front of the CCD of the D1 has been ripped out. Gives about 7.5 EV increase in IR sensitivity :smile: Also, it makes the camera slightly near-sighted, but since IR rays do the same with the lens, the differences cancel out (because there is no filter over the CCD, an IR filter must be put over the lens).

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Bjørn,

Am I understanding correctly that you ripped off not only "hot mirror", but the whole filter pack, and now are getting IR in black and white?

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The anti-IR and anti-aliasing filters are in fact bond together, so both are removed simultaneously. This removal still leaves the Bayer filter intact, and you won't be able to remove that unless the CCD surface is to be damaged.

Now, the colour dyes of the Bayer filter behave different in IR than in visible and become largely IR transparent, so the modified camera "sees" more or less the same luminance response in all 3 channels. However, there will be a bias towards reddish or magenta casts, unless the strongest IR filters (RG1000 or similar) are employed in which case the results becomes almost b/w.

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Bjørn,

Indeed, I tryed different solvents and was unable to get rid of Bayer...

Thank you for your answers and explanations.