Critique This octopus likes wine!

The requirements of positioning the physical objects and doing the special post-processing made this probably the most difficult tabletop photo I've ever made. Also one of the most fun to make!

Lighting for Capture #1 and #2
The background (not dispalyed in the final image) made of translucent vellum was lit from behind by two medium continuous-light lamps. That lighting outlined the wine and wine glass in dark tones. In Capture #1, a small continuous-light lamp lit the octopus from above and slightly behind it. That lamp was turned off in Capture #2 to prevent any reflections of it from being displayed in the wine glass and wine.

Physical Objects in Capture #1 and #2
The tabletop under the octopus is transparent glass raised about 1 1/2" above white foam core. The glass prevented the foam core from being ruined by the wet octopus but also prevented shadows from being cast, which was a problem that was solved as explained below. The tabletop glass was raised so I could shoot from below the subjects but I ultimately decided to shoot only from above them.

Capture #1: The wine glass on top of two small containers was included only so I could wrap the tentacle around the stem at a height that was above the rest of the octopus. Two strings suspended from above lifted the tentacle.

Capture #2: Wine was poured into the glass and the glass was then tilted.

Special Post-processing
The extraneous items in Capture #1 were removed. The wine glass was moved from Capture #2 to Capture #1 and reduced in size. Parts of the glass stem were erased to allow the tentacle to wrap around it. A texture from InfinteTexturePanel.com was added to fill the frame with a desktop. Shadows were added to the desktop to simulate shadows that would have been displayed if an opaque tabletop rather than a transparent tabletop had been used.

Final Image
Mike 2020-01-28--005-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Capture #1
Mike 2020-01-28--001-S.jpg

Capture #2
Mike 2020-01-28--004-N.jpg

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Oh! WOW!
The final picture is excellent, Mike.
And the story behind it is fascinating too.

Wonderful
Klaus

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom