This Past Week on Prince William Sound

I've been quiet here for the past week because we were out on Prince William Sound. Didn't do a lot of photography while out but did manage a shot or two.

1) Mountains meet the sea.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) While out for a hike we ran across a golden eye hen with a couple of chicks.

3) One of the best things about wildlife photography is where you get to pursue your subjects. This is the pond where we ran across the hen and chicks. Not a bad backdrop.

4) Looking back to where we left the boat. An hour or so later we would be aboard eating blueberry pancakes and linguisa sausage for breakfast.

5) This trip we visited one of the favorite hang outs of sea otters. We weren't disappointed. There were dozens if not hundreds in the bay. But all it takes is one cooperative mother with a pup.

6) Typically there is a short window of time in the morning when the water is smooth and there is enough light to get decent results.

7) Mom came a little too close. For the lens and for her own comfort level. Here she's grabbing the pup by the nape preparing to pull it to safety which sometimes means dragging it along when she dives. The pups are so fuzzy that they are too buoyant to dive on there own. Love that water.

8) Morning sunlight while we were enjoying our morning coffee. I love backlighting. And again the glassy surface on the water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amazing set and great narrative
Thanks, Buddy. Happy to entertain anyone still in confinement :(
Beautiful area Your images do it justice.
Thanks for the comment, Alex.
When I saw the thread title, I immediately knew it would be another great set from Dan. Heck, that was a no-brainer, so it's no big deal that I was right.
Glad you enjoyed, Mike.
Covid? What Covid? This is glorious isolation!
One reason we go out there is to get away from people. IMO Alaska has been pretty pragmatic with managing the Covid situation. In many places they have stopped people from boating in the name of fighting the virus. Surely it's one of the safer things that people can do. Certainly safer than going to a grocery store.
Great set!!
Thanks, Mitch.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I really enjoyed this set of pictures of a wonderful place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really enjoyed this trip to Prince William Sound. Thanks for bringing us along. I especially enjoyed the sea otter mom and pup.
Glad you like the post, Bob. I never tire of sea otters.
I really enjoyed this set of pictures of a wonderful place.
Thanks, Nigel. It is indeed a wonderful place.
Such a beautiful area and you have captured it so well. Love the golden eye and chicks.
Thanks, Gordon. When we first walked by the pond the two chicks were by themselves. They would swim away from me but towards my dog if she was near the edge of the water. Go figure. Anyway the mom made a couple of low altitude flybyes then landed with us right there.
Beautiful location and images. 5 is my favorite.
Thanks, Allan. That one is my favorite otter shot of the trip.
Very nice, cool self-portrait shots :D
Thanks for the comment. I can't grow whiskers like that :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom