This Week at Slimbridge

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Sep 23, 2005.

1. No pictures of the little crake that has brought hundreds of twitchers (obsesive birders for non UK readers)to Slimbridge from all over the country (UK) but some pictures I took on Tuesday in between working (I take guided tours of the grounds, help out the teaching staff - that sort of thing - all voluntary of course). The problem is that pictures like this are 2 a penny

It's a wood pigeon by the way.
    There was a black swan handy, one of the collection birds so I got in a bit closer:

I thought this might be a bit to tight so tried another couple

Enough with black swans I saw this black headed gull perched on Sir Peter Scott's head (or at least his bust - he has been dead a quite few years now)

I thought I would get a picture of it taking off if I moved in closer but it was not in the mood to move so I got this shot:

The trouble with shooting head and shoulder shots of birds is the lack of depth of field - this is the last view a grain of wheat gets on this earth :eek:

The received opinion is that the eyes should allways be sharp - which they are not here - what do you think.
    All the pictures were taken with a hand held D1H fitted with a 80-400 VR Nikkor

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

#2, 3 & 4 dig them !!

4. Nice really like the Black Swan shots #2 is really nice.
    The gull on the statue makes me chuckle. We humans can be a strange bunch we build statues to people we reverie just so birds can s**t on their heads :biggrin: :biggrin:

5. Image #4 is my favorite. Way to go with this series.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Very well done, and Sir Peter Scott's is just great. The white trail on the bust is so explicit, really gets a giggle or two out. And sharp enough, considering they were taken handheld.

8. LOL! Great angle!