This weekend's project

Discussion in 'People' started by Beezle, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Been thinking about doing a portrait of my almost-four year old involving his favorite thing. Trains.

So last night I began trying assemble a scene where he would be immersed in them. Here you see a few shots from the first round. Any ideas for improving the scene appreciated. We do have other trains. In fact, we have too many trains. :rolleyes:

I like this first one. He has a sweet demeanor, but usually has a serious look on his face when fussing over his trains.

ben-trains-3-rsz.
    ben-trains-1-rsz.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    My boys love trains as I mentioned in PM. I've probably seen every Thomas the Tank Engine DVD that is available more than 13 or 14 times, back to back. :biggrin:

How old is your son?

I like the portraits by the way. I do think that having all of the trains so close is very unrealistic. You wouldn't play with them like that would you? I think that one train and track setup around him would be great. Possiblly expand upon your contest submission and have him watching his trains go by or controling them.

Just a thought.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Beezle :

Consider shooting from a different angle relative to the "U" shape of the trains instead of from the base of the "U", as well as perhaps shooting from the ground level upwards across the trains to your son. While these are certainly charming shots, the change in position could make them magical.

John P.

4. Great ideas. I'll try them both.

5. Ah yeah, I can quote half the stories and sing most of the songs.

The funniest though is when the wife and I dare to have an argument. He rushes in and shouts "SILENCE!!!"

He will be four on the 17th of this month.

I appreciate the feedback.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Trains, trains trains, gotta love trains.. Why are they so magicaL :>)) huuum
    Could ask a Big Kid, Jarrell Connely :>)))

Anyway, I think I would also shoot down to his level a bit.

8. John and Gale, the angle thing helped a lot. Thanks!

I had a 45 degree angle down setup in my head for some reason. I just needed someone to nudge it out. Note I have other shots with better light on his face, expressions, etc. This was just the first one I looked at.

ben-trains-4-rsz.

Tomorrow I'll try motion and similar perspectives.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Now to go do battle with soccer parents... :rolleyes:

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Beezle :

Glad to be of assistance.

I think this shot is a real "keeper", and has a lot of charm. Just as a constructive comment - if you have a little more space above your son's head and to the foreground of the trains available before cropping, that would give a touch more "oomph" to an already lovely shot.

I'll look forward to the rest of the shots...

... after you've wrestled the soccer parents to the mat !

John P.

10. The above is about the best from today.

This one below is my favorite, but I just don't see how I could fix the arm shadow. Plus he is shifted too far to camera right. The negative space to camera right of his elbow above is a problem, but not as bad.

ben-trains-5-rsz.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Much Much better.

wonderful images of a very handsome young man :>)))
    thanks

Always remember what your subject is and try to get to thier level..

Well birdies don't let me do that much :<((

I was on her level..
    I have since improved the image....But what a sad story behind that beautiful smile she gave me.

12. Look at that face! Young ones sure are wonderful. You caught an amazing smile there.

Why sad?

13. As you can see here, Ben had to do his own shoot. The photo from this that will hang in his room will be the one he took.

ben-shooting-trains.

14. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Beezle,

I like all of them esp. the later one where you had shot from a lower angle.

A very nice visual effect you have created - the only other comment I'd make is to try and get more of a smile (I always attempt to get some teeth showing - it gives proportion to the face)

I like the black BG too - it presents a central, focused subject matter.

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Beezle :

Sweet, sweet shots.

As for the arm and the light, try running either Digital DEE or D-Light (depending on what version of Capture you're using). It's possible you can bring up the shadowed area enough to satisfy you.

Your son's quite the kid, and I have a feeling his Dad's not such a bad guy either !

John P.

16. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Nice project, very nice images, and I'm jealous of your light system. Thanks for the motivation.