This weekends wedding ( C&C welcome )

Discussion in 'People' started by icecavern, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Had a wedding this weekend, and the weather wasn't looking good, but all the important parts of the day ended up in between the showers :biggrin:

So here are a few of my shots.

_D309705.

_D309735.

_D309750.

_D312950.

_D300168.

_D300159.

_D300023.

_D300040.

_D300215.

_D300230.

_D300383.

_D300386.

_D300421.

Comments welcome as always.

2. I think your images all need some density adjustments. Some are too light, others are too dark. You captured some nice images, but where is the bride's bouquet? Hands are always awkward to pose, so the bouquet really saves the day for wedding images.

3. I agree with Rodney. Also, there seems to be a wb issue with the bride shots.

EDIT: I would also suggest tighter crop for several of the shots. Ask for some of the people here to adjust an image for you as an example. I could also give it a shot, although I definitely am everything else than a wedding shooter :biggrin:

4. Density adjustments? Sorry can you explain that?

5. When I say density , I mean lightness, darkness, exposure. Some are too light, others are dark, they need some exposure corrections done in the RAW software, unless you shot jpeg, then you can try levels or curves I guess (I don't shoot jpeg)

6. Yes I do shoot RAW, never have really trusted jpg only as you loose the quality in PP.

7. Pete, shooting in RAW will help you a ton here. My suggestion is to in general:

(1) Set the wb correct and decrease exposure and add fill if needed to avoid blowing out highlights
    (2) Add some contrast and make the colors more vibrant (if available in your software)
    (3) Adjust the curves a bit (typically you want to push the histogram a bit to the right with the curves and drag it back by adding density)
    (4) Crop

That's what I do to 90% of my shots. After this, I might try some more fancy stuff like fiddling around with overlays etc., but it is just to add a certain feel to the shots if I feel like it.

8. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I am no expert, but in my opinion, I think the images themselves are good, they just need (more) editing. Uping the contast definitly helps here... but be careful not to lose too much details in the progess (look at the historgram).

Picture 2 - I like this picture! I would crop this tighter though so that the bride isn't in the dead center.

Picture 3 - an important moment that's captured very well - the WB is a bit too blue though I think but then again I am using an uncalibrated monitor now that sees images slightly on the cool side. It's not an easy shot to get the proper exposure because of the windows at the front of the church.

Pictures 4,5,6 - they seem to be a "series" taken at the same location - but I find that the WB isn't consistent. Sometimes what I do is to pre-set the WB to some value during the shoot and after going back home, take one picture and fine tune it until you like the WB. Then I apply the same settings to all the similar pictures shot at that location with similar lighting. This usually will give more consistent results.

Picture 7 - I like this one a lot! A tad blue though...

Picture 8 - Personally I would shoot the table from higher up so that the audience can see the decorations and table setting more

Pictures 11,12 - Personally I would prefer if the B&G are not blurred, but It's a good way to give some "motion" though...

Yeah and what happened to the bouquet?

9. Thanks for the comments :smile:

I have to admit I was using AWB for all the shots, which maybe explains the differences.

As for the bouquet, the bride had it at the church, and when arriving at the reception venue, but then before the portraits it disappeared. :( 

10. Pete,

here is an example on what I was thinking with those suggestions. In addition, I lightened up her eyes and teeth, and added some saturation and sharpening to the eyes.

Left: modified (click for large), right: original

[​IMG] _D300168.

11. Hi Jani

The only thing is that makes the bride look really orange unless it's my screen?

Pete

12. There might be a wb issue; also my monitor is not calibrated, but on my screen she doesn't look orange :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.