This young lady is not family, so is placed firmly in "others" category. Added surprise ending.

I am trying to develop skills for C1 processing for credible portraiture (along the lines "taught" by Kasia Zmokla on YouTube). My problem is that there are no lady friends available in my life willing to pose. However i have asked one or two waitresses at IHOP where I breakfast daily to "model" for me, either before or after their shifts, in trade for the digital copies I give them. This lady was yesterday's subject. I asked her to smile nicely for some shots but she told me 'aint going to happen". This was the last shot of our session and she gave me a hint of smile but i'm not sure if it just slipped out or was deliberate. I suggested we do our session at her IHOP to give her a non-stressful location (and to keep her husband out of my life). I darkened the background maybe a stop and 1/2 so as to let her beauty power the image.

PD-CHERYL-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Image is a JPEG, sized for a cell phone screen. I gave her several sizes, full frame HR TIFF,s for prints (grandma and grandpa / mom & dad), full frame JPEG's for economy prints for fun, 1200 px long side for cell phone friends.

Last edited:
Thank you Allan and Wile. Zmokla's lessons are very helpful as she dives deep into the guts and feathers of C1 and some of her work is just amazing. She seems to have very good eye for color because she can turn a blue sweater into a light tan color, and can shift skin color from sun tan on a nose into a slight blush on a cheek with no effort whatsoever. If you are interested she has amazing skills with landscapes as well. One small piece of advice - you will need to listen/watch to a half dozen or more of her lessons until you get used to her accent and cadence of her Polish background which really affects her English.

Last edited:
I like the sharpness delivered by the D850 wearing the 105 f1.4;) (from a different shot in this shoot).

Eyeball panorama Jpeg crop@ 300 dpi, long side 1200.

CHERYL-eyeball-panorama 1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Did anyone notice the checker board of various colors in her eyes. My son in Calgary did and brought it to my attention. I said I had use a style brush called "enhance iris" (or some such) in C1 to pop that part of her eye a little. That would have been so un-C1 like so magnified further until we could see the outline from a contact lens just outboard of her iris. It seems her colored contact lenses are colored by printed squares of color on either the inside or outside of the lens itself. Zoom the image above and can see the pattern used - it is more prominent in the eye on the right but is also present in the eye on the left, but fainter.

Real Name
Ken
Did anyone notice the checker board of various colors in her eyes. My son in Calgary did and brought it to my attention. I said I had use a style brush called "enhance iris" (or some such) in C1 to pop that part of her eye a little. That would have been so un-C1 like so magnified further until we could see the outline from a contact lens just outboard of her iris. It seems her colored contact lenses are colored by printed squares of color on either the inside or outside of the lens itself. Zoom the image above and can see the pattern used - it is more prominent in the eye on the right but is also present in the eye on the left, but fainter.
I was wondering what that was. Thanks for the explanation.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
I suggested we do our session at her IHOP to give her a non-stressful location (and to keep her husband out of my life).
If you have a subject who is not fully relaxed and do not want a spouse in the picture (pardon the pun), another suggestions would be to have a friend accompany them.

--Ken

F64

Real Name
Greg
This lady was yesterday's subject. I asked her to smile nicely for some shots but she told me 'aint going to happen". This was the last shot of our session and she gave me a hint of smile but i'm not sure if it just slipped out or was deliberate.
In the past - I was able to find willing subjects at the University who would gladly pose for a reasonable hourly wage. Getting compelling portraits from "girls next door" is often difficult unless they know you very well and trust you to make them look their best.
I was tripped up once before by a subject with colored contacts. They usually muddy the eyes unfortunately and no amount of fussing on my part could relieve the strange look.
If you have some money to spend you could check out a local modelling agency for some professionals who could trot out dozens of compelling poses all on their own in a couple of hours of work.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom