Thistle

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by antsplan, May 21, 2007.

1. I dont normally shoot flowers, all of my attempts so far have always ended in severe disappointment. Seeing the pictures on this site has inspired me to give it a go, and whilst i'm still not particularly happy with these two shots, its about the best from about 200 images I took, so I might as well post them and at least get some pointers for next time.

It's essentially the same shot with slightly different PP, but unfortunately the second method seems to have introduced some noise ? In both I have reduced the saturation as the orange/red/yellow of the thistle seemed to be merging into one big blob. For the second I just kept going with the desaturation, increased the black value in CS3 raw and added fill light and a little sharpening.

Any comments welcome, i'm still relatively new to photograpy (approx 1yr) so anything will probably help. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  3. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    really like the color in #1. have never seen a thistle that color..

4. Gale/Tim

Thanks for your comments.

Your shot is gorgeous Gale, is this the way to get a black background ? i.e. low light and flash, are there other ways ?

The background in the colour one is a little distracting for me - do others agree ?

It was very windy when I took the shot and I would have liked it it a little sharper around the petal strands.

Tim, thanks. I suspect that with the desaturation I have done even to the colour one, that the colour is not exactly what I saw with my eye. The Thistle was pretty much Orange. I will have another go at PP as I have quite a few images. BTW I have never previously seen an orange thistle either. Got it from a flower shop yesterday.

Is anyone aware of any good tutorial threads for making a start in flower photography ? I really don't even know the basics.

Thanks again

Anthony

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You can carry black cloth or black foam core board with you and put behind the flower
    Tweek in PP

6. Great Idea, thanks again.

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Anthony, I'm not familiar with that thistle, but, judging from the greens, it appears that the color balance is off -- too blue. As for the background, this can be fixed by using a mask and darkening the background. You don't need to go all the way to black (unless that's what you want), just enough to clearly separate the subject from the background.
    [I don't think I've ever shot thistles -- now I'm going to have to be on the lookout for some.:smile:]

8. Bob thanks for this, I fully agree re: the blue, I will try again with PP.

Regards the mask, can I ask you to explain a little more please, not sure I understand.

Thanks for your honesty, I appreciate that.

9. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Hi Anthony. Sorry, I can't explain the detail of masking in Photoshop -- I'm not a PS user. However, I believe it is called a layer mask in PS jargon. Hope that helps at least a little.

10. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    I like the BW best. very nice.

cheers, Mark