Thom compared z cameras to sony

Yes, that is pretty standard these days, camera manufacturers not providing an external charger and simply including a cable that the user can plug into the camera and then either into a computer or into a USB power adapter if they happen to have one. Neither of the last two cameras I bought came with external chargers but I already had them since each camera used the same kind of battery that previous ones had, so that worked out nicely for me. If they hadn't, it would have been a simple enough matter to purchase an external battery charger.....

I'll bet neither of the new Nikon Z cameras comes with an external charger, either.

Yes, that is pretty standard these days, camera manufacturers not providing an external charger and simply including a cable that the user can plug into the camera and then either into a computer or into a USB power adapter if they happen to have one. Neither of the last two cameras I bought came with external chargers but I already had them since each camera used the same kind of battery that previous ones had, so that worked out nicely for me. If they hadn't, it would have been a simple enough matter to purchase an external battery charger.....

I'll bet neither of the new Nikon Z cameras comes with an external charger, either.
The article lists the battery charger as a Nikon advantage, meaning they are included. Is this not factually correct?

According to the Z6-Z7 Brochure :
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 7.48.42 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The MH-25A is the same charger as the D850.

The EH-7P is a charging adapter (looks like a USB charger) is only included with the Z7.

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 7.52.56 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That ithing in the photo I s only for charging while rhe battery remains inside the camera, which is not the same as an external charger into which one can put the battery and charge it outside of the camera. MH-25a would be the external charger.
That is correct.
Both cameras come with the MH-25A External Charger.

Not having used one of these USB chargers, I’m wondering - do they charge at the same rate as the one I put my battery in and plug into a wall socket?
Good question and probably one we won't know the answer to until field reports come in (I didn't see any numbers from Nikon indicating charge times).
Nikon does state this:
The EH-7P can be used to power the camera for shooting however the EN-EL15b battery will not charge while the camera is turned on. With the camera turned off, the battery will be charged.
It remains to be seen but there are 1000's of USB chargers out there and many of those higher power models will likely work as well. I've preordered a Z6 but I won't be buying Nikon's $60 USB charger.

D

Deleted member 13260

I think you charge the battery in the camera with usb.
Yes. But only the new battery issued with the camera. Older 15 batteries will work but not in this respect.
Charging will take a long time if Nikon has been conservative about the rate for safety reasons.

Real Name
Leif
Not having used one of these USB chargers, I’m wondering - do they charge at the same rate as the one I put my battery in and plug into a wall socket?

It depends on the charging current. A USB 2 socket supplies 0.5 amperes. USB 3 goes to almost 1A. An external socket generally will provide more current, maybe 1A maybe more. Typically an internal charger will be slower. I wasn’t able to find specs for Nikon chargers.

D

Deleted member 13260

I find it a useful feature on the Panasonic G9 - can bump up the charge when driving between sites or from a battery bank when away from mains power.

Since mirrorless use a lot of juice an accurate charge guage on the camera is important.

Connie - According to Nikon's Z brochure, the Z cameras come with a MH-25a battery charger. It's under specifications at the end of their brochure. You can check it out at the following link: https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM9...g-xcLVNVcp7mdwZQz5w==/Misc/Z7_Z6_Brochure.pdf

Latest threads

Top Bottom