Thom Hogan inverview (Parts 1 & 2 available; 3 soon)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MontyDog, Jun 21, 2005.

1. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

James Morrisey does a good job with Thom Hogan and I'm looking forward to reading the next parts of the interview (having recently been interviewed by JM myself for a forthcoming presentation on the NWPP site, I do know the depth of the communication that occurs).

There is an interview of Michael Reichmann on that site which makes for some interesting reading as well. Check it out.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

4. Thanks for the link Paul. I can't wait to read these interviews.

Bjørn, I can't wait to read yours.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am new to your forums but was encouraged to participate by Flew. Curiously, what do you feel is missing in PT II? This is important to me as I am trying to make sure that I am asking the 'right' questions.

There is no need to pull punches.

Thanks for the feedback.

-JM

PS Part I of Bjorn's interview goes up tonight once my wife takes care of a couple of small things for me.

7. Thanks for the heads up Paul.
    Very interesting interview.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    James,

Welcome to the Cafe. I saw Paul's link, but haven't taken the time to go through all of the interviews yet. I'm going to do that tonight. ;-)

Regards,

9. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Hey Flew,

Not a problem, and thanks for being so welcoming. As I have said, I am eager for feedback - and expect no punches to be held. While nature and wildlife photography are my passion, my professional training is as a wedding photographer. As a result, I am not always sure that the business questions are really the RIGHT questions. :)

So far, I have been very lucky that for the most part people have been very willing to talk with me. I am hopeful that this continues :).

10. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I think that if you want to be successful entrepreneur in any field, one must have the thirst and be in the right spot at the right time with the tools available.

On top of that to have the standing, honesty, income, you must have a business plan.

The digital revolution has spawned many industry successful
    entrepreneurs. Many have succeeded and many have failed.

Just look back and see how many have made it, and how many have failed because of lack of a business plan.

Even XXX was starving even tho his photo work at Yosemite was stunning until he got a business plan run by a manager.

Birger

11. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    100% correct!

Hi Birger,

I agree with you entirely. At some level, NWP has been a development for me to figure out over time what it takes to effectively create a business plan for myself. I have debated, for some time, moving out West and photographing full time...however, I also realize that one must have a solid intelligent plan for paying the bills. In my case, wedding photography (which I really enjoy).

I have learned that in order to really be successful, one needs to be able to really devote ones entire time and energy to it. However, I have also noticed that most of the folks I have interviewed have come to this after having done something else. Many have already raised kids, changed careers, etc. In short, they are people who are ABLE to take the risk at some level.

Also, each of the people I have interviewed has something unique to offer to the photographic community - which gives them a niche. They also, for the most part, have a lot of brass.

-JM

12. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Re: 100% correct!

I think that in order to be successful-one must be ready for lean times and willing to go hungry, even if your first business plan fails.
    Go to your backup business plan.
    Also you should know when to bail out.

I think the second most important requirement is to circulate among the industry that you are in. For those are the people who can help you and maybe you will find a mentor.

I'm just suggesting some aspects for your future interviews.

I'm sure that every successful entrepreneur will be glad to tell you of his darkest days.

Birger

13. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    "I'm just suggesting some aspects for your future interviews.

I'm sure that every successful entrepenuer will be glad to tell you of his darkest days."

That is a really interesting perspective. Thanks for the thought. I will definitely make sure that I incorporate this idea in some of my upcoming interviews.

-JM

PS Thanks for joining the NWP community!

14. That was great reading!

@Bjorn: Just read the first part of your interview and when it came to the part about man's position in "N" and on this planet I thought I was reading an interview with myself. Your words coincide 100% with my philosophical (or is it more empiric?) outlook on life.

I definitely keep track with the follow-ups.
    cheers

15. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Deep

Hi Harry,

The interview with Bjorn is incredibly powerful. The photographs also added to this for me as they add strong visual images to the narrative he provided.

I am glad you liked the interview and hope to see you at NWP some more.

Thanks for the feedback!

-JM