1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thom Hogan Re: D300 1.03 Firmware Changes

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jfenton, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I emailed Thom immediately after testing my D300 body post 1.03 release. I upgraded one and left one alone.

I indicated that I found 2 major differences between the two rather quickly and asked if he had seen them. At that time, he indicated that he had not.

I also posted a query on this site asking if anyone had seen changes without indicating what I seemed to be experiencing....I didn't want folks thinking I was nuts since many here think that already!

Apparently Thom now has experienced them. :) 

From his site (buried in his D3 notes):

"Nikon has a habit of sneaking in unknown changes at firmware updates. Indeed, if you've got a D300 you should probably already have noted that there appear to be two unannounced differences with the latest firmware for that camera. First, the 14-bit hesitation seems to have been either removed or lowered significantly. Second, there seem to be improvements to auto focus tracking of some motions; I notice this especially in 51-point.."

Perhaps this is why I'm now shooting 51 point for almost all of my flight shots :) 

The acqusition speed still sucks for BIF with a TC on board IMHO and unless the birds are at distance (greater than 35 or 40 yards), I don't even attempt it any longer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  2. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    HA!!

That's funny!!

So I'm not nuts!

I've been commenting over the past few days that I have a renewed liking for 51pts, though I have not tried if for birding yet. Silly me...I didn't put it together with the FW update but did notice that you said you were now in 51pt mode.

Berry, Berry sneaky...

photo_05.

3. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    What puzzles me is why Nikon would not mention the improvements if they were there.

Aren't firmware updates the kind of product support we expect? So why not publicize what's been included in the new FW? Hey they fixed DBS, came out with new pic controls, and now if they improved the AF and 14 it shutter-lag, why not mention it?

Anyway, my congratulations to Nikon for standing behind their products and fixing or improving them. At the end of the day what counts is what they do, not what they say, to consolidate customer fidelity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008

4. Ah but you are OUR nut :biggrin::wink::rolleyes: 

5. You guys are talking about standard 51 point and not 51 pt 3D?

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Keith

Correct...I haven't even tried 51 3D again to be quite honest.

7. I'll have to give 51 a shot now.

8. It is not an improvement, it was a bug fix. Not many would admit the released code has bugs - they would rather fix it seripticiously and sneak it in the back door. After all, who would admit they are flawed.

9. Glideslope

Glideslope

Feb 8, 2006
    NY
    Well done. Can't comment on the 14 bit change, however my 51 point AF is much improved. Though I'm still a 21 point guy. : )

10. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    I can only comment on the low light performance of the D3, and it has certainly improved as I noticed shooting a wedding last weekend.
    I hope to learn more at my next motorsports event when I´ll be using both the D3 and D300.

The biggest difference I´ve noticed before the firmware upgrade was that the D300 were a lot slower then the D3 when the subject was going away from me for some reason and with the same settings.
    When they were coming towards me the difference were a lot smaller.0

11. dsokol

dsokol Guest

I'm glad there are people like Jim, to test the functions of the D300 and the different upgrades and graciously post the results. Thanks, I'll have to give that setting a try.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.