1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thom Hogan reviews D3 Merged

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by italy74, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Thom Hogan D3 review

For your info...

http://www.bythom.com/nikond3review.htm

Particularly interesting this sentence...

The first hint of change came in August 2007, when Nikon introduced the D3 and D300 pair. And what a pair. But before I get to them, note my words carefully in the first sentence of this paragraph: "the first hint of change..." Yes, that means what you think it does. Nikon isn't done trying to re-establish its reputation at the high end. The recently introduced D700 is just one more indication of Nikon's quest to re-establish their pro and serious amateur core market. You'll know what I mean by that statement sometime just before Photokina 2008. By mid-2009 I don't think anyone is going to doubt Nikon's commitment to the high-end market.

I told you something is boiling in the Nikon's cauldron...

2. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    Wow! Five stars across the board!

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    ugh, another month until his D3 guide comes out :frown:

ricky

4. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I'm with you Ricky; I need Thom's D3 guide now!

5. I waiting with abated breath also for the guide on the D3. After reading Thom's review, I now know why I'm in the dark. At lease the AF is better now! :biggrin:

6. amazing... but, completely expected review
    i'm glad to read it, however
    i'm looking forward to his D3 guide, as well

thanks for the thread and link

7. Useful review. Good to have, and thanks for alerting us.

8. In Thom's homepage, I'd suggest to look also at what's next.. other interesting hints are coming..

9. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    We had two identical threads that I merged together in case anyone gets confused. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info,

Wade

11. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    "Nikon isn't done trying to re-establish its reputation at the high end. The recently introduced D700 is just one more indication of Nikon's quest to re-establish their pro and serious amateur core market. You'll know what I mean by that statement sometime just before Photokina 2008. By mid-2009 I don't think anyone is going to doubt Nikon's commitment to the high-end market. "

Now you've done it. Now all I'm going to think about until Photokina are the new primes coming out. I know I'm going to end up ordering some of these the day they're announced. When is Photokina?

12. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
  13. Great review. Nothing surprised me though. As soon as I started shooting with the D3 I knew I was going to have to learn how to shoot all over again. Just the fact that ISO wasn't a factor anymore, changes everything I learned about shooting with a Nikon DSLR. I bet we will see great things from Nikon in the future, and the D3 does a great job "paving the way".

14. I totally agree with him that there should be one set of setting banks to change everything on the camera. I totally disagree with him that the camera is too complex or there are too many screens. The flexibility of the menu settings is very valuable to me, I have probably over 3/4 of the settings changed from their defaults. and the always on status screen in the back has always been a primary advantage of the full size camera body over the +grip options. knowing which screen to look at for what information takes about a week to grasp.

I have not seen any other reviewers covering this aspect with as much attention or seen much discussion on it. I would like for the camera to come with software that lets the user structure the menu himself and modify the various interlocks and overrides.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.