Thom Hogan reviews D3 Merged

Thom Hogan D3 review

For your info...

http://www.bythom.com/nikond3review.htm

Particularly interesting this sentence...

The first hint of change came in August 2007, when Nikon introduced the D3 and D300 pair. And what a pair. But before I get to them, note my words carefully in the first sentence of this paragraph: "the first hint of change..." Yes, that means what you think it does. Nikon isn't done trying to re-establish its reputation at the high end. The recently introduced D700 is just one more indication of Nikon's quest to re-establish their pro and serious amateur core market. You'll know what I mean by that statement sometime just before Photokina 2008. By mid-2009 I don't think anyone is going to doubt Nikon's commitment to the high-end market.

I told you something is boiling in the Nikon's cauldron...

I waiting with abated breath also for the guide on the D3. After reading Thom's review, I now know why I'm in the dark. At lease the AF is better now! :biggrin:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
We had two identical threads that I merged together in case anyone gets confused. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info,

Wade

"Nikon isn't done trying to re-establish its reputation at the high end. The recently introduced D700 is just one more indication of Nikon's quest to re-establish their pro and serious amateur core market. You'll know what I mean by that statement sometime just before Photokina 2008. By mid-2009 I don't think anyone is going to doubt Nikon's commitment to the high-end market. "

Now you've done it. Now all I'm going to think about until Photokina are the new primes coming out. I know I'm going to end up ordering some of these the day they're announced. When is Photokina?

Great review. Nothing surprised me though. As soon as I started shooting with the D3 I knew I was going to have to learn how to shoot all over again. Just the fact that ISO wasn't a factor anymore, changes everything I learned about shooting with a Nikon DSLR. I bet we will see great things from Nikon in the future, and the D3 does a great job "paving the way".

I totally agree with him that there should be one set of setting banks to change everything on the camera. I totally disagree with him that the camera is too complex or there are too many screens. The flexibility of the menu settings is very valuable to me, I have probably over 3/4 of the settings changed from their defaults. and the always on status screen in the back has always been a primary advantage of the full size camera body over the +grip options. knowing which screen to look at for what information takes about a week to grasp.

I have not seen any other reviewers covering this aspect with as much attention or seen much discussion on it. I would like for the camera to come with software that lets the user structure the menu himself and modify the various interlocks and overrides.

Latest threads

Top Bottom