Thom Hogan Reviews D700

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by lanthier, Sep 30, 2008.

1. He'd have to be whacko not to like it.....:smile::smile:

2. Huh, he didn't mention compatibility with the PC lenses....

Sean

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    " I've now had the chance to shoot with the D300, D700, and D3 on extended trips. Which would I pick? Well, it's looking like the D700, as that's the way my Ready Kit is packed. For the first time in a long time I'm close to where I was when I was shooting film."

:smile:

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    the difference isn't statistically significant, but it's interesting that the D700 has less shutter lag than the D3.

ricky

5. Thanks Rich.....

6. Thanks...Rich! Getting a early view of his Review and his meaty observations and operating tips is most helpful.

7. Finally, for all the D3 owners that insisted that the D700 has slower AF, thank you Thom

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thom's quote:

9. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    And this..

"The D700 does a very good job with erratically moving objects, such as flying birds and most sports. Like the D3, I'd place the D700 a bit better than the D2x in this respect. Only when the light gets dim and the subject gets decidedly out of the central area did I find any problems with tracking moving subjects. "

10. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    Interesting review, and as others mentioned I appreciate his bit more detailed information about the D700s AF in comparison to the D3 and D300.

One thing I wonder about is that he says he gets around 9EV of dynamic range and can pull/push maybe 1 more. Not that that isn't very good in itself, but I'm seeing more like 10-12EV when I compress the full range, use D-Lighting, or something similar... IIRC - DPR said
    Maybe he means about 9EV with out of camera JPGs?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.