1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thom Hogan, "So, no, the DSLR is not dead"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Palouse, Jan 1, 2019.

1. I’m always late to the game. I just bought a D500. Apparently I’m the only one and it was really dumb of me.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. That makes 2 of us dinosaurs! What's wrong with us, can't keep up with marketing! :D :rolleyes: :eek: 

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I’m taking a D500 and the 300 and 500 pf to Florida next week.
    I don’t need or want anything smaller

• Like Like x 1
  4. "Size is insignificant next to the power of the force!"

Seriously, though...who cares if the camera can fit in your back pocket if it cannot give you the performance you require.

At this point, and I'm going to be really surprised if anyone can make a camera that performs better than the D500 for the money. I'm hoping in a few years that Nikon will break this on sensor PDAF wall that everyone seems to be at right now...that is not being able to perform to the same level in AF as the D500/D5 AF systems.

Heck, for me, if you can give me a D500 with a blackout free EVF system....I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm not sure that EVF technology will ever be able to completely eliminate the slight time delay. Most of what I'm shooting is moving, some things faster than others. I'm very sensitive to that little delay, drove me crazy back in my video camera days. I'm not convinced the laws of physics would allow a display without some sort of delay and that is a deal breaker for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. perhaps the answer is to have a separate sensor that is full time for the EVF and one sensor full time for AF and imaging. Not sure how that looks from a technology standpoint.

7. The D500 is an awesome camera, for birds it is faster than the D850 even with the grip and the buffer never fills if you use fast QXD cards. So people can rant but it don't change a thing.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" where o where is my 500PF???? it would be perfect on the D500" - Georgie Beagle

• Like Like x 1
  8. I bought the 7200 as an upgrade to the 300. Perhaps the issue is that Nikon exceeded expectations with that model?!

I also stopped reading Thom’s blog around the same time.......

9. My 10 cents.
    1. With a DSLR (D500, D800 mostly) I can easily achieve what I want without thinking about the mechanics of shooting. Easy to make the camera do what I want.
    2. With my Fuji X-Pro2 (and a 35/1.4) I waste time with the menus and viewfinder options etc. Relatively harder to make the camera do what I want quickly. But I do like having a functional aperture ring.
    3. SOOC I much prefer the Fuji JPGs to Nikon's, but I never post anything SOOC so it's a negligible practical advantage.
    4. A gripped D anything is significantly bigger than the Fuji.
    5. I intentionally bought 1 prime for the Fuji and have no intention of buying any more lenses for it. I don't need 2 systems and I already have a lot of glass. It is my setup for "this isn't a photo trip but I still want to be able to take decent pix in low light."
    6. I could get an adapter to use Nikon lenses on the Fuji but that doesn't seem to get me much. Lenses often outweigh bodies anyway and the ergonomics would seem strange to me.
    7. I bought 1 Godox Mini TTL for the Fuji. Inexpensive and simple. No interest in duplicating my PocketWizard setup (3 Einsteins and 3 SB-800s) for the Fuji.
    8. I kept my old Nikon 17-55/2.8 DX so I do have a reasonable DX lens setup. The long glass (FX) is sometimes a bit too long on the D500 but not a deal breaker.
    9. Using the Fuji at a 50mm equivalent FOV is good discipline and sometimes refreshing when I feel stale photographically.
    10. I hope to never have to buy another computer for photo processing. Anything that needs more than i7 and 64GB RAM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. And per Jacques points, I've own(ed) several M4/3rds since 2010. Different horses for different courses. I did an upgrade from XT1 to 2 after the 3 was launched. I have an OMD-EM5 with a decent set of lenses I need to move they Oly set at some point....

11. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    No, 3...

Klaus

• Like Like x 1
  12. 4. I love my D500's. The Z6 is nice, but it's no D500...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Look at the bright side, I purchased my D500 on the day that it was released - so I probably paid more for mine than you did! :) 

14. Yes, but think of all the use you’ve gotten out of it.

15. There are things I prefer about mirrorless cameras, but for the photography I do the most of, the D500 advantages outweigh the disadvantages to me.

16. Yes, and that's the reason I picked up a Z6. It "fills in the gaps" of where a mirrorless camera is better than a DSLR, but for shooting sports and wildlife, the D500 is the better camera. I use the Z6 more for "general" photography, video, etc.

I'm glad to hear you're getting along well with the D500 Dan.

• Like Like x 1
  17. That is my situation as well. My understanding is even the few 120mhz refresh EVF cameras still can't compete with an optical finder. And in lower light levels the refresh rates drop making it even worse. I see that Sony has developed a 240mhz refresh rate EVF, which may bring the EVF lag to an acceptable level in the future.

I have EVF bodies for travel and casual shooting and they work well for me in that role. But when I am trying to capture a specific look, expression, or gesture of a dynamic subject what I see in the EVF when I release the shutter is not what is in the captured image. In order to capture what I am looking for I have to compose using the EVF and then release the shutter based on direct observation of the subject.

I am not one of those "you will pry my DSLR from my cold, dead hands" people. In fact my weapon of choice for much of my shooting is a Leica digital M. Compact in size with an optical viewfinder and no mirror to flip up.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Yep - I've shot the heck out of it...

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.