Thom Hogan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Silly question, maybe..but has anyone told Thom Hogan about the cafe? It's sure nice to have people like Ron Resnick on board, and it would also be great to have Thom as a regular visitor. He's one of the sanest and most knowledgeable folk around, in my humble opinion.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Peter,

Not to my knowledge, but you are right. It would be great to have Thom as a member. Feel free to drop him a line, or if you prefer, Patrick or I will do so.

Thanks,

Frank

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Y'all know we've been pointed to on DPR don'tcha?

Search the text on the D100/D1/D2 forum for "nikoncafe.com".

4. Couldn't find anything with those or similar terms, Chris...maybe it's seen as competition and has been "removed"......

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

Tom Weber (a respected Café member) did that post and mentioned it here a couple of days ago. I don't want to do anything to make Phil or anyone else mad, but as far as I know, we aren't doing anything wrong, are we??

As a matter of fact, the first day that we set up the Café, I sent Phil an email asking him if we could link back to DPR and never got a response. I've kind of dropped it.

Frank

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I sure don't feel like we're doing anything wrong here!

Quite the opposite. This place gives those of us who either get too caught up in the stupidity or just can't handle the noise of that much bigger room. I think it's great that Tom posted the Cafe's address there, I had thought of it myself, but decided that it might cause trolls to enter, but then, why would they want to (or would they even be allowed to post?) We wouldn't respond anyway and their mischief would end.

As for being competition with Phil - let's see, we have 110 members or so, and post a couple dozen messages a day. Phil had thousands of members with dozens of posts a minute. No, we're not any competition for him at all. Not to mention the fact that I don't see any ads here, and that is what any competition would be about.

I think the Cafe and DPR can peacefully co-exist.

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Tom's note is the only one that shows up in DPR and its so buried that I don't think that anyone paid any attention to it. At any rate what this forum has in common with DRP is some shared membership no different than any other forum. Not a thing wrong with that.

I see where that person at the NJ forum got put in his place by a few other member's there and that the likes of him wouldn't be invited here.

Good idea to invite Thom!!! Two top notch players with Ron and Thom!!!

8. As a grandfather of 7 grandchildren (six of them ten or under) your description of not being able to handle the noise is appropo to DPR. A bunch of screaming children can drive anyone away.

I think DPR has evolved to a "new" gear environment...."What's next?" Lots of measurbating discussions comparing the size of their yadda yadda yadda. Ours is "Does anyone know how to use this stuff?" oriented.

Rich

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    And to take this thread totally, completely and utterly OT ...

When I bought my D100 I was caught tossing between it and the 10D. It was logical, my wife and a Canon film SLR and two lenses, I had a Nikon F50 and one (crappy) lens.

So, of course, much research ensued. Inevitably that lead me to DPR and, eventually, to the Nikon SLR and Canon SLR forums. In the end, I chose the D100 for two reasons:

1) The POSSIBILITY that there might have been some backfocussing problems with the 10D. I stress it was never confirmed as being a real problem and even if it was real probably only affected a few cameras.

2) The forums themselves and the people populating them. I think the explanation most easily understood by the people here is that the Canon forum resembled the D100/1/2 as it is now times 10. That was the straw that was enough to turn me from the 10D to the D100.

Not the most rational of purchasing decisions possibly, but what the hey, I'm happy now. The fact that I can use the forum as it is now as an illustration to me signifies how bad it has become.

And now to get back on topic - has anyone contacted Thom yet?

Neil

10. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Ignored again ;)

It's the story of my life ;-) Actually, I posted that in reply to a question by a guy who had just been roundly trashed for posting what I considered an interesting question. He replied to my post by asking if there were any more civilized forums I frequented. I really didn't consider my reply to be advertising or luring people away from DPR. So, I'm glad I didn't stir anything up.

Tom

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Ignored again ;)

Tell me about it Tom.... 8)

Frank

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Re: Ignored again ;)

Heck Tom, I think it's a good idea to recommend this forum, although there will come a time when it gets too big for our dear admins to handle in their "spare" time. As for posting on DPR, the only thing I'd want to avoid are the pot stirrers and name callers (notice I'm avoiding a popular term for them.)

I also don't think this should be a newbie forum with a lot of "should I buy this or that?" type questions. I have to be careful there though, because sometimes the freshest eyes are the sharpest, and I sure wouldn't put amount of experience as a litmus test.

Also you are so right about the responses on DPR. People there THRIVE on controversy, yet whenever controversial statements are made, they jump all over the OP. It's a strange and scary place compared to the Cafe.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Bill M

Bill M Guest

I'm jumping into this thread late as I've just joined this list.
    The thread linked above to DPR is exactly why I very seldom even go over there anymore. There are so many that are waiting to attempt to squash any idea that is different or not rah rah Nikon - and then the whole mob mentality sets in. It's as bad as I've seen on any forum anywhere.

Bill Moss

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well Hello there Bill,

See you made it to the civil world of The Nikon Cafe.

Good to see you.
    Welcome aboard, and thank you for joining all your friends.

Hope to see the Treveling Camera photos soon.

Regards
    Gale

15. An update on the Thom thread...

On 3rd of March I did write to Thom, whom I much admire at the following address : <thom_hogan@msn.com> as below :

Hi Thom

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but the increased drama and ugliness on DP Review has made a couple of people start a new forum, which now has over 110 members and growing. All the good familiar nice guys from DPReview are over there, including Iliah Borg and Ron Resnick and I wondered if you would not like to join us there for a virtual cup-of-coffee some time.

It's a pleasant environment with all things Nikon and no things ugly...

www.nikoncafe.com

Kind regards
    Peter Bendheim

South Africa

Sadly, I must say, I never got a reply of any sort. Maybe he's away somewhere and will still join us some time...

16. Peter,

I invited him a week or so ago. He courteously declined indicating that he didn't have the time to add another forum to his interests. I'm not attempting to be diplomatic or "spin" his remarks. His approach was that his income was based on web exposure and he had to stick with income generating web pursuits. He regretted not being able to spend the time here. Since it was a personal e-mail I chose not to post it.

Hope that helps. I got a similar response from Lee Stanstead who, as you may recall, posts incredible shots of art from Europe. He couldn't spare the time either.

Rich

17. That's okay guys you got me! I'm the best arm chair photography on this forum! :) :wink: