Thom Hogan's 17-55 review - what's that thing on his d70?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by jmmtn4aj, Jun 30, 2007.

1. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2007
  2. An L-bracket. Heavy, but awesome.

3. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Heh, I just read up on it. Sweet :D

4. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    I have to disagree. It is an L-bracket - RRS. It is not heavy at all. It only weighs 3 oz. I have one on my D200. Don't even know it is there, but when I need to mount it on the tripod, presto.

5. I have the Kirk Enterprises L bracket on my D80. I like having it on there, it makes doing vertical composition shots much easier.

6. J Mark

J Mark Guest

I've had an L-bracket on my D100 for years and wouldn't consider being without it...it makes attaching to the camera in either landscape or portrait mode to a tripod quick release very simple. You can get them for either with or without a battery pack. Solid, stable and worth the expense and added weight. Both Kirk and Really Right Stuff make great products. Can't go wrong with either, although if you have a quick release on your tripod, you should probably stick with the same manufacturer in case of any slight compatibility issues.

7. yea, if you use a tripod more than once in a blue moon, do yourself a favor!

i really wish we got dual dovetails or at the least dual 1/4-20 threads on all mainstream cameras. i would give up the USB/AV out cluster in a second. my other camera has horizontal and vertical tripod mounting threads built in so i got spoiled a little bit.

8. There is a second reason why this should be on all cameras, if you drop the camera, it is good protection. After seeing Frank Wilsons anguish when his D200 went down and got smashed at Merrit IV, I made a note to myself that I will never have a camera without the L-Bracket. You can get the from www.reallyrightstuff.com or www.kirkphoto.com both make fine products.... RRS is top grade...

9. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    Both Kirk and RRS are awesome companies.
    I wouldn't be afraid of buying from either.
    I have a Kirk head and plates and can't imagine there being anything better out there.