Thom Hogan's carry kit

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MontyDog, Apr 7, 2005.

1. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

2. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I was surprised to see the lensbaby in his bag.

Dave

3. *sniff* he carries the holy trinity of Nikon zooms.

4. Wow! Thanks....

Thanks for posting this...

This really helped me nail down my kits...

I have been moving things back and forth like crazy and never really having a steady bag. Now I have separated everything into three bags and things hardly move around at all. If I need to make a change I just swap one thing out for another and replace them back when I get home.

GenoP

5. Interesting link, Paul. Many thanks.

6. I thought that interesting too. :D And he sure loves them iTTL speedlights since he regularly lugs 3 around in his main kit.

_Man_

7. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'm still working on buying my first flash. My plan is multiple flash units down the road for some real fun with lighting, but right now thats out of the budget.

Dave

8. I would REALLY like to see an iTTL ring light.

9. Me too, Scott. I've got an SB-29 that works great with the F5. When they went digital, they put out the SB-29s, which basically just added a bunch of manual steps so you could try to match up in a trial and error approach. The ability to turn each light on and off or to diffuse either made it much more than the traditional ringlight.

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi paul-

thanks for posting the link, i missed it on my regular visits to thom's site.

nikon needs a remote flash trigger that isn't a flash unit, similar to what canon has. i'd like to be able to use my sb-800's off-camera without having to buy another flash to set them off.

ricky

11. You can use the internal flash to do that.

12. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi frank-

i know the d70 (and probably d50) can do that in commander mode, but unfortunately i have a d2h :) spending $600 on two sb-800's was painful enough, another $200 would be too much. besides, i have to save up for a d2x :wink:

thanks,

ricky

13. Frank, you mean I can use the internal flash of my D100 to fire the SB800 remotely...!!! :shock:

14. Interesting to see what others carry in their bag.

I find it interesting when people post on their web site
    what is in the bag.

15. Thom generates so much respect

I am impressed by the weight given the "expert's" points of view. Include RR in there as well. When I read that article a while back I immediately compared it to my own (12-24, 28-70, 70-200) and got some lust to by the DX 17-55 (I calmed that urge).

What I especially am impressed by with Thom is the insight that he possesses about the industry in general with Nikon in specific.

Here's my thanks to him for his efforts!!!!

16. Tui

Tui Guest

What a set up

Now there is a kit to lust after. :shock: Talk about having all you bases covered!
    Oh well, one day.

17. He's got the best "wish list" I've seen:

Here it is: Thom says:

Okay, so what would I change if I could wave my magic wand and make anything I want appear? Well:

A smaller, less expensive 12.2mp backup body. Think D120.
    A 12mm f/2.8G DX prime. (Replaces the 12-24mm)
    An 18mm f/2.8G DX PC.
    An i-TTL macro ring flash.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Panos, Since the D100 had dTTL instead of iTTL, you need to do remote in manual mode (unless someone can show me how to do it in auto mode.) If you don't want the built-in flash to affect the picture, you can put a piece of IR filter (either use the gelatin, or a piece of the IR plastic from a TV remote) over the internal flash, then it's flash will be invisible.

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Check "Moose" Petersons bag on his site sometime. :>)))

I don't have the url at the moment. But google does :>))

Thanks for the link. Going to go look seeeeeee

20. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    FYI
    The specs I have seen on the D50 say, no it will not. Probably the one thing I have pointed out to anyone that asks it they should get the D50 or D70. I use my SB-600 fired from the camera all the time. It's probably the single biggest thing to rule out the D50 if I had to replace my D70. (g*d forbid). ;-)