Those funky Bulgarians!

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Removed User 2, May 4, 2007.

1. I've been to Bulgaria many times. Had the fun of my life. I remember the time when one could sit in a cab in Sofia and be driven all the way to the Black sea for no more then 20$.
    Eat and drink the whole restaurant for 15$ (including friends and a terrible headache).

But those Bulgarians are funky, I swear! Someone warned me about their way of saying "yes" but I forgot and it drove me crazy! When I asked this guy to allow me to take his picture, his answer consisted of nodding his head left to right with that naive smile. "Man, are you nuts? I've been asking you 5 times to take your stupid picture and you keep on smiling more and more and telling me no! Are you nuts?" But then I remembered it is their way of saying "YES". And waving their head up-down means "No". I swear! So this guy started thinking I was intellectually weak, thus his increasingly smart-*** smile directed at me.
    Of course, I started to feel bad at all the previous bulgarians I've been mean to when they told me "No". But the funniest is those who told me "yes" with their body language but who really meant "no". Man I must've pissed'em off big time!

Sofia is a beautiful city with nice people and with many photo ops. Here is a shot that wraps the situation that prevailed in that country in the mid 90's.

Web-73.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I like the way you've got just the guy and his stuff in the picture. How much did he weigh, and what's up with that?

And don't just nod, Ned.

3. It was a a deep depression state in Bulgaria at that time. He used to charge something like 1 cent to people who wanted to weight themselves. I gave him more of course...

4. Just classic, Ned! Sad and funny at the same time! By the way that's a long taxi ride from Sofia to the Black Sea!

5. 8 hours...
    Ray, I'm not joking. For 20$ it was for real. Just imagine the crazy time a 20 year old guy can buy himself in those conditions!

6. And here I figured it was a "guess your weight" game.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    These days, and here, that might be more lucrative.