Those using drop in filters

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by PLPhoto, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Any benefit to using them? I took out the neutral clear filter, figured I haven't used a filter on my lens in years, why start now.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  2. Phil,

I use the 400mm AF-S II and leave the filter in, just because it's a placeholder only. I made sure that it's crystal clear first, but still left it there.

3. Same on my 400 AF-S II. If the circular polarizer isn't in there the "stock" one is.

4. No loss of IQ I take it?

I just picked up this lens today, it's raining quite a bit here, so I can't really get out and give it a real test.

5. No loss of anything at all, glad I left it in place.

6. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The lens system is designed to have an exact amount of glass in place in the filter drawer. If you aren't using a special filter, then the clear one should be in there. I don't know what the optical impact would be, but removing glass from the optical path that was designed to be there could change things like the focal plane (ability to focus quite so sharply), CA, etc...

7. Whoah Phil, lucky you! Congrats!

8. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    I remember reading somewhere that the filter is part of the optical formula for the lens and should used if you aren't using a polarizer.

Edit: Oops :redface:, What John said.

9. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Yesterday while shooting soccer I put in the darker one (sorry don't know the name of it) that comes with the sigma lens to help with the bright early morning sun.

Shots overall seemed much calmer.

10. I keep mine in the 300 all the time, its there for a reason, no need to not have it there.

BTW what did you end up picking up? You didn't actually happen to mention.

11. Thanks for the info guys.

I left it out for today's game, images are still tack sharp. Since the consensus seems to be that it belongs in, then I'll put it back in...I trust you guys.

Geoff, I picked up the 300 2.8 AF-S DII and I'm freakn loving it so far.

12. It is a sweet lens. Anytime I can I use it. Still finding ways to do so.

13. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    This is my understanding also. I have only removed mine once when I first bought the lens just to see what the filter and holder looked like. It’s never been removed since.

14. Thanks Chris, have to sell the Sigma 120-300 and another lens to fund it. I shot football in the rain and this machine didn't skip a beat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.