1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Those wacky killdeer...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Holmes, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I paddled a 25 mile stretch of the North Platte today trying out a new kayak I'm rigging up for use as a photography craft.

While having a spot of lunch on an island in the river the killdeer put on quite a show for me doing their broken wing antics. It was fun to single one out and let him draw me off into the water. When I'd return to my craft and my lunch the bird ran right back to me and started it all over.

They're quite intelligent, or at least perceptive, as all displays ceased once I boarded my kayak even though I was still sitting on their island. When I stood up and exited the boat again, the displays started immediately. Brave little birds, killdeer.

All taken with D300 and 70-300VR @ f7.1 & 300mm:

p294140146-4.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/1000s    ISO 200

p241738835-4.

p154462993-4.

p205266565-4.

'Twas a fun day, learned a lot. Thanks for looking!

2. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Nice shots - they are pretty little birds!

3. Very very nice shots.

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thanks! They are attractive and most comical to observe.

Thank you, Louis. I sure enjoy your work and find myself watching the birds more than I used to!

Thanks, Anthony!

5. nice series.

6. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    great series of a beautiful little bird. I love their broken wing act, you captured it beautifully.

7. Well, the broken wing act is their way of drawing away from their nests. I didn't know that the first time I saw it, thought it was really hurt and didn't want to take a photo. Nice captures for sure!

8. Interesting behavioral shots, nicely done.

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thank you, Daniel. It's so much easier to get good photos when the subjects allow the amateur to get this close!

Thank you. This particular river island has always sported a high killdeer population. I often put out here for a spot of food and drink and the locals are always ready to put on a show!

Thanks. The island features a narrow 1-3 metre 'beach' with tall thick grasses inland. Their little nests are very simple ground depressions just inside the grassline. I don't go physically enter that area but careful visual exploration with a monocular will often reveal a nesting female or two.

Occasionally, a bull snake will cross the river and hunt the island which results in a killdeer uproar that must be seen to be appreciated!

Thank you, Warren. I've usually carried only a small P&S camera when paddling the rivers and it was a nice change to break out a DSLR to get much improved images. I think this new photo/fishing boat might just be a keeper!

10. Nice shots. I used to have a couple Killdeer that would nest every year right in my back yard. Gave me a nice chance at capturing the broken wing act as well. This series was shot with a Panasonic Lumix FZ20

http://www.pbase.com/mike_curtis/killdeer

For those that haven't seen it, this is what their nest and eggs look like. Just a small depression in the ground, usually surrounded with small pebbles. They will lay 2 to 4 eggs (at least that's all I've observed) that are quite camouflaged with the ground.

original.
    DMC-FZ20    ---    30mm    f/2.8    1/500s    ISO 80

11. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Great series, Mike! Your image of the nest is a nice culmination. The eggs are indeed amazingly camouflaged unless you're right on top of them. Even the birds themselves easily disappear amongst the rocky areas when they're not running about.

The natural world is exceptionally cool, eh?!

12. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    Wonderful series! You must have been close to their nest.

13. Holmes,
    I love watching them do that, I think its the female kildeer protecting the nest?
    Anyway, I love these birds been eyein your shots for days. Great captures, and your colors are vibrant.
    Kevin P.

14. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thank you! Several nests, actually. I couldn't get a photo position on them without getting into the grassline where it's just too easy to step on a nest inadvertantly.

I also have to balance my intrusion carefully because my presence is causing these birds to burn calories unnecessarily. This exposes them to greater natural hazard since they have to forage more than they would if I were not there bothering them.

Pesky humans, eh?!

Thank you, Kevin. I believe it is the females putting on the show. I'm doing another river trip next Sunday and hope to perhaps get a shot or two of hatchlings if the eggs are far enough along. Newly hatched killdeer are a hoot as they get their legs under them the first few days.

15. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Nice series Holmes.

16. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thank you, Chris. It was a great lunch break!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.