1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Those who have upgraded from D40/40x/60, is the D90 much heavier?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by magbarn, Sep 28, 2008.

1. magbarn

magbarn

Sep 27, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    I currently have a stable of D300/700 bodies with a whole bunch of lenses and equipment. Problem is on family trips and such even the D300 feels heavy after awhile, (The D700 is noticably heavier). I've been looking at the D40/60 as these are definately smaller and lighter. I like the decent cropped low-light performance my D300 gives me and from what I understand from my D200 days the D60 sensor is already quite noise at 800+ ISO. The D90 also uses the same battery type as my other bodies. My question is to those who have upgraded from the smaller bodies, is the D90 much heavier/bulkier than your old camera? I also have alot of screw driven primes which will have to be manually focused, but I was willing to overlook that for the lighter weight/size.

2. I don't have a D300 for comparison, but I think it's close to the D200 in weight. For reference: D200: 830gm; D40: 471gm; D90: 620gm.

I think these weights are w/o battery. At any rate the comparison should hold.

I'm wrestling with the same dilemma, as after 2 shoulder surgeries, I need a light kit.

I've about decided on a D60 +18-105VR as a good light compromise walkaround outfit. But I'm not sure yet...still considering the D90.

3. My D90 does not feel much heavier than my D60, and it does feel a lot better in my hands. The D60 felt a bit small in my hands. The D90 is definately bigger than the D60, but it does not feel bulky, in my opinion.

4. +1

5. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    no not much heavier, fits in your hand better

6. hubsas

hubsas Guest

Not enough to outweigh the tremendous improvements over the D40X

nt.

7. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    D70 is 679g - another comparison for those of you familiar with that body.

This is the likely replacement for my wife's D50. She found the D200/300 to be too large and heavy for her (IMO, they ARE if you carry them long enough...)

8. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    In my opinion, the D80/D90 is significantly larger and heaver than the D40/D40x/D60.

The numbers are not a substitute for holding them in your hands side by side.

9. I am a D40 user and I played with a couple of D90s for the first time yesterday. I didn't notice a huge weight difference, but then again I was only holding the camera for a few minutes. D40 to D90 adds just over a quarter pound, though. Doesn't seem like much for what you get! :smile:

Carrying around the D40 you pretty much have your pinkie finger to spare. Not so with the D90. I have small hands and the D90 comfortably filled my hands; a good comfortable fit, but full. I'll be waiting a while but given the type of photos I take (no pro enthusiast, family and landscape, low light) my body replacement trajectory will probably be D90 and then FX over the next 8years or so, rather than D300 and then FX.

Oh, and the LCD is HUGE and beautiful . . .

10. magbarn

magbarn

Sep 27, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    I've ended up with the D90 for now. I like the images so far out of it, except it does meter about 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop brighter than the D300. The images are also a bit "punchier" out of the box. I'm hoping for Nikon to release the D2xMode1 picture control for the D90 since I use those modes (I love the skin color!) with my D300/700.

11. D90 is about the same weight/size as the D70, notably larger and heavier than the D40, and notably smaller/lighter than the D200. For me personally the "right" size/weight is the D70/D80/D90, the D200/D300 weighs way too much, and the D40/D40x/D60 is nice and compact, does NOT feel wrong in your hand like the Xsi, but I did miss the front control dial when I owned a D40.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.