1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Those who report D700 banding

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by smodak, Aug 12, 2008.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Could you re-test after turning off Active D-lighting? Just Curious...
    Please ignore if you have alreasy done so...

2. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Sonya???

3. I'll see if I can get to it tonight. I don't remember if it was turned on or off last time.

4. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Sonya, I love your Avatar...the real picture was great too...

5. Thank you. It'll change again shortly I'm sure. :biggrin:

6. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    I'm on my second body and so far no banding what so ever. But I do remember I had active d lighting on but on all of my pictures under and over exposed there was lines even on low or high iso..

7. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Hey Sonya, did you have a chance to get to it yet?:smile:

8. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Did you send the first body back? I wonder if they took care of this with subsequent production batches

9. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    is it only when shooting at a bright light source? I have seen multiple lines in my images but only when shooting at iso 12,800. i would not like to have lines but I am unsure if it is banding or just a characteristic of that iso.

anyone?

10. Not yet....I'll try, maybe even now during nap time. It might be dark enough if I close the curtains in here.

11. I just went to change the active d lighting setting and it was already turned off. I did take another couple of photos, one at 6400, and one at H2.0 and the banding/blooming was generally the same as my other samples I posted before. But significantly worse at H2.0.

@H2.0
    2765394751_ba8acb1d41_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

@ ISO 6400
    View attachment 238878

12. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Sonya,

I'm curious. Would the banding be removed by standard noise reduction software? And if not, would it show up in a print?

Thanks,

Bob

13. The banding/blooming is still present with noiseware, even on the strongest setting. I printed (just now) both of them at 4x6 and could see the line.

14. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    obviously nobody here has tried shooting a d2h at 6400 ISO... haha.

15. I'm sure it was just as bad with my D80.....still, it's not an issue for what I shoot so even with these bands at mega ISO's it's not a problem for me at all.

16. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks Sonya!

17. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Sonya, Now that is a killer Avatar!!! :smile: and thanks for checking on the banding again !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.