Thought I'd share some shots again.....

My first ever Red-winged Blackbird. I found this guy in my backyard yesterday. Explains the huge "sparrow" looking bird I've seen a few times & always wonder what it is. That would be this guy's mate.... Anyhow, it's not easy to expose for a black bird when it's in a tree & jumping in between the shadows etc. So this was a first attempt & I can but hope not a horrid one.... Shot hand held with the D300 & my cheap Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3.....

Thanks for looking....

Lil

p489652192-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p425381467-4.jpg

p29417138-4.jpg

p135382602-4.jpg

p314737293-4.jpg

p121541092-4.jpg

p392409270-4.jpg

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
nicely done Lil on a tough subject against the blue sky.

Good metering there! by the way that tamron is the lens I recommend to folks on a budget if they want a zoom compared to the 300f4 with 1.4 converter.

Wade

Very nice captures.
Regards.

Thank you so very much Gilles. :smile:

Lil

nicely done Lil on a tough subject against the blue sky.

Good metering there! by the way that tamron is the lens I recommend to folks on a budget if they want a zoom compared to the 300f4 with 1.4 converter.

Wade

Thank you Wade. Better blue sky than white. :wink:

The D300 is a champ for sure. The Tamron is actually pretty good once the photographer gets the hang of it. Technique is a must & I was concerned shooting this hand held, but that's what it took.

I have the 300mm f/4 as well & shoot it with the TC-17E II now & then. But I like being able to zoom in & out. It really helps at times so my hope is to get together the money for a 200-400VR used or maybe a 500mm f/4 AF-S used. If the 500mm then I'll keep the Tamron, if the 200-400VR then I'll just get another TC, the 1.4 to go with it as well. But until I have at least $ 4,000 towards a lens - - this is the way I have to go. I actually like the Tamron now that I feel I have the lens & it's pp'ing somewhat under control.

Thanks again Wade.

Lil :smile:

Great Exposure Lil

Those are tough to shoot, You did well

Thank you Gary. He was most accommodating in sticking around - - he did however like being partly in shadow as the shots reflect. I'm lucky the tree is leafless right now.

Again, thanks Gary - - I so respect your opinion & you as a photographer so this means a lot to me.

Good work Lil. The feather detail is excellent too.

Thank you Counter. I'm pleased with my first attempt with a black bird. I hope he comes back so I may experiment some more.

As others have said Lil nicely done on a tough subject

Thanks Tim - - I appreciate the feedback. It makes me braver & then I start pushing the envelope to see where I may take it. :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom